Topic: 35 Ford Woodie Windshield Frame Needed

WoodieFan    -- 06-20-2016 @ 3:49 PM
  Removed chrome frame to have re-plated due to chrome peeling. My Plater advised that the window channel was badly rusted internally, and my original windshield frame would not hold new plating, even after stripping and cleaning. I have tried many places, but have not found a replacement frame, (Woodie / Cabriolet fixed frame with 10 slip nut in channel). No one has any in stock. (tried Mac's, Bob Drake, Early Ford V-8, Midwest Early Ford, Am. Antique Auto Parts, and they have none. All Ford Parts in CA. is trying, but their supplier won't provide a dely date. Can anyone help / suggest a supplier? Thanks.

1934 Ford    -- 06-20-2016 @ 4:15 PM
  WoodieFan,
Try posting a picture of the 35 Windshield frame you need for your woodie. Is it a car frame from a 35 car or something else? If we can see what your are looking for, maybe we can help.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Don Rogers    -- 06-20-2016 @ 8:00 PM
  Try the following companies. They make them for the other suppliers including Drake.

N/C Industries Antique Auto Parts
301 S Thomas Ave, Sayre, PA 18840
(570) 888-6216

Trautwein Products Co
256 Brownell Hollow Road
Eagle Bridge, NY 12057
(518) 677-3385

woodiewagon46    -- 06-21-2016 @ 8:17 AM
  Check out E-Bay, there are several listed. I looked under "1935 Ford windshield frame".

rdofloor    -- 06-21-2016 @ 10:07 AM
  try little Dearborn in MN

rOGER oLIVER

WoodieFan    -- 06-21-2016 @ 10:33 AM
  Thanks everyone for suggestions. I will try N/C Industries. I left a message with Trautwein earlier today. Atttached are two photos. My original frame was stripped, but plater says it is not good enough for show quality replating.

WoodieFan    -- 06-21-2016 @ 10:34 AM
  Thanks - have tried them - not available.

WoodieFan    -- 06-21-2016 @ 10:48 AM
  My previous response was for Little Dearborn. They did not have any. I have looked at the ones on Ebay, but they are not same as Woodie frame. N/C Ind. in PA. cannot make the Wagon frame, as they said the corners do not match original, and they gave up. I left a message with Trautline. Thanks again. I will let the forum know when I come up with something.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-21-2016 @ 12:30 PM
  Sorry Woodiefan, I was unaware that the windshield frame was different than passenger car. Perhaps you can try the Classified sections of the V-8 Times and the Woodie Times. I know how rare Woodie parts are so good luck in your quest. I have looked thru some back issues of the Woodie Times with no luck. I'll ask some Woodie guy's I know.

Don Rogers    -- 06-22-2016 @ 7:14 AM
  There were 4 body styles in 35-36 model years that used the same windshield frame. Those sharing the same windshield frame were......Station Wagon, Convertible Sedan, Cabriolet, and Club Cabriolet. This might help narrow down your search.

trjford8    -- 06-23-2016 @ 7:24 AM
  Did you try the Early Ford Store in San Dimas, California? They have tons of NOS and repo parts. They advertise in the V-8 Times and are listed in the vendor section of this site.

trjford8    -- 06-23-2016 @ 7:25 AM
  Did you try The Early Ford Store in San Dimas, California? They have tons of NOS and repo parts. They advertise in the V-8 Times and are listed in the vendor section of this site.

flatheadfan    -- 06-23-2016 @ 1:53 PM
  WoodieFan-

I can't personally help but I have a buddy (who is not currently registered on this board) who has a premo '35 woodie and ran into the same problem. He forwarded the following to me and I thought it might be of interest to this conversation::

"The frames are impossible to find, but as I recall, you can replace the lower section with the same from a cabriolet (as noted in a post) and those are just as hard to find. But as I recall, I did get mine from Trautwein. The issue with others is that the corners drop down more than the woodie. With mine, I painted the grill, so there is nothing much to compare the chrome against. The frame is thus pretty much a one-off chrome piece in my ride... Which as a result does not need to be matched.

Thus, the option is to clean it up and prep it for painting. In this case, find/research a source for “spray chrome”. From what I see the results are pretty amazing, but only on video, no close inspection. If the grill is chrome (say old chrome) the match of the frame and grill may not look “right” but that would be the same if the grill was not chromed at the same time. "

Hope this helps.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 06-24-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  Flathead fan brings up a great point. If you are not going to fine point judge your car, is the frame good enough to paint body color? The body styles that Don mentions are some of the rarest so chances of finding one is slim.

kevinshea    -- 06-25-2016 @ 12:16 PM
  woodiefan.

I am the guy that sent the note along to flatheadfan. I too have a 35 Woodie in Tacoma Cream with Red Baron Red powder coated wires and a painted grill. I am aware of a couple of others in cream; one formerly in Boise (exact copy of mine) and one outside of Detroit. I would be interested in finding out more about yours.

As noted, windshield is very rare and hard to find. You can of course look for a bottom half, but that is the real problem! since common, available items have deeper, rounder bottom corners.

I completed my restoration in 2004 and recall that I bought one from Trautwein. My lower piece had corner rot and so I had the same problem. Back then, there was some stuff going on in Australia, so be sure that you expand your search.

If you can't find one and really want it chromed, and can't find a plater, I would indeed consider "spray chrome". I have seen a few painted, but personally, I think it does not look real good. Spray chrome results look stunning in video, but I have not seen any up close.

PM me if you like.

drkbp    -- 06-27-2016 @ 5:47 PM
  The difference between the station wagon and the convertibles is the open cars have the windshield wiper hole in the top half. They would most certainly show a different part number because of that wiper hole.

I have both a repro and the original frame for my '35 Cabriolet. All the convertibles are chromed for the '35 and '36 years but I'm not so sure about the station wagons. I may be wrong but I thought some of them had painted grills and windshield frames. If you can find one of those in good shape it could chrome really nice.

Neither of the photos on this thread seem to show the stainless trim covering the connection where the top and lower halves meet. Maybe these old eyes just can't see them. The inside garnish, dash and waterfall is the same while you're looking if you don't already have them.

Ken in Texas

aeroboy3    -- 07-04-2016 @ 5:50 PM
  I have taken some pretty sorry stuff to platers and gotten nice work back. I gave one a radiator sh*ll you could see light through the pinholes. I took several layers of copper plating before the chrome was applied. Looks great.
Aeroboi

WoodieFan    -- 07-12-2016 @ 1:10 PM
  Hi everyone - thanks for the helpful responses regarding the Station Wagon windshield frame. Sorry for the delayed response, but have been doing further research. I also spend a day at Iola Swap Meet, and did not find any Station Wagon windshield frames, or one from a closed car that would be suitable in fit or finish. I did find a 36 Ford Cabriolet in the car show, and inspected the WS frame. Confirming the top frame has holes for the wipers, (the Woodie frame does not have wiper holes), but the bottom WS frame looks to be a duplicate of the Woodie bottom frame. I have left messages with Trautline in NY, but cannot get a response. I guess I will have to keep trying to contact them, as it seems they have made the Woodie WS frame in the past. I have been watching EBay, but only find the closed car frames for sale. It is my understanding the bottom frame curves are different, and the mounting system. My top frame is good enough to be chromed, so I only need the bottom frame. For reference, the bottom frame has seven (7) holes with floating internal nuts. While not impossible, this is an added complication to using a close car frame, which has no internal fasteners. Thanks to the Forum participants for your help so far. If anyone comes up with a bottom Station Wagon or Cabriolet WS frame that is not rusted through, let me know. I have attached a couple photos, one showing the dimensions and condition of my bottom frame. Hopefully there is one out there somewhere, though I am finding out how rare they are. If anyone has an opportunity to measure a close car frame and compare to my dimensions, I would be curious to see the differences. Thanks again.

WoodieFan    -- 07-12-2016 @ 1:27 PM
  Adding couple comments. I did reach Mr. Trautwein, Sr., and he told me his son is handling the business, and is on vacation. I will try him next week. I know the history of the car from new, and the WS frame was chrome, so I do want to keep it chrome. I will see what Trautwein has to say next week, and keep up my search. FYI, attached is a photo of my Woodie with my 1895 varnished wood Adirondack Guideboat as displayed at the Milwaukee Masterpiece last year.

1934 Ford    -- 07-12-2016 @ 6:23 PM
  Last Saturday we were out in our 35 Ford Pickup and as I looked at the windshield frame.
it sure looked like your pictures of the Station Wagon windshield frame in your posts.
Is it possible the Station Wagon and the 35 Pickup shared a frame?

1934 Ford's since 1972

WoodieFan    -- 07-26-2016 @ 2:17 PM
  To close out this discussion, I finally reached Trautwein Ind. in New York State. He was well aware of the rarity of this windshield frame, and advised that they could make a new reproduction one, however, since demand for the Station Wagon frame was small, they do not plan to make a run of them until January 2017. They have back orders for closed car frames, and will continue to fill those orders first. Unless something better comes up, I will go this route. Thanks for advice.

Blastfromthepast    -- 03-21-2019 @ 9:33 AM
  Hi Woodi, This is a long shot but I was reading that you purchased a cabriolet frame to try and match your station wagon. I don't know how you made out but I have a 36 cabriolet and Im looking for the frame. Is it possible you still have it. If your looking to sell it let me know. Thanks, Tony.

Blastfromthepast    -- 03-21-2019 @ 9:40 AM
  This is a long shot but read you have a repop and original windshield from for a 1935 cbriolet. Any chance you would part with one. I have been looking for a while. If you are thinking of selling one please contact me. Thanks Tony.

1936RDSTR    -- 03-21-2019 @ 1:23 PM
  Just saw your message and think I may have your windshield. It is solid with nice chrome and glass and has been in my garage for probably 40 years. I bought it for a car that i had at the time but found out that it was not correct for my coupe. A friend at the time did some comparisons and said it was for a wagon. If you are still looking, respond and i will give you my phone number and we can see if this might be what you are looking for.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9793