Topic: I'm not there.Post your Tulsa reports here please?

VT/JeffH    -- 06-16-2016 @ 3:24 PM
  Hello V-8 Club members.

Sadly I was not able to put the CNM in Tulsa on my schedule.

Folks should be arriving home soon.

Who went? What did you see? What did you score at the swap? Which old friends did you connect with?

We/I want to hear your stories please?

-VT/JeffH

Photo of the 2014 ENM. Frank Miller's '49. Frank is behind the wheel of the Phaeton.

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-16-16 @ 3:30 PM

fordv8j    -- 06-18-2016 @ 11:53 AM
  Took our 38 conv.to Tulsa.got a first in concourse....heat index was 115degrees,,,probably 130 on the asphalt,,,,,great show

Kens 36    -- 06-18-2016 @ 8:17 PM
  Jeff,

It was a terrific meet. The heat was oppressive, but we had no storms and nearly no rain. There was indoor parking for our vehicles. Lots of people were there. John Mason from out your way, as well as Cecil & Kay, Michael, and Cameron Polan. Also Jim & Velma Parsons from WV.

It was a great venue, everything was on site. The concourse was excellent with many beautiful V-8s. They had some great entertainment. The swap was small, but many left happy. I found a correct NOS 7# '51 radiator cap in the box for five bucks!

Nothing but thanks to Tulsa RG#39 for a super time.

We took our Mercury and drove back 700 miles yesterday. See you in Gettysburg!

Ken

JM    -- 06-19-2016 @ 4:08 AM
  Good report Ken! It was a hot one, but none the less a great meet that I totally enjoyed. Where else could we have seen that many nice cars and their owners. I picked up a nice set of original 48-xxxx, early take off's, domed top, aluminum heads, with no visible corrosion at the water hole passeges. I am just about ready to start the final 600 miles of my trip home. Like Ken said, see you in Gettysburg in about 7 weeks.

PS..the attached picture was taken at the Woolaroc Ranch & Museum as I was about to leave and head back to the Hard Rock Hotel in Tulsa

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-19-16 @ 6:50 AM

Kens 36    -- 06-19-2016 @ 9:14 AM
  Great shot John!

Ken

Kens 36    -- 06-19-2016 @ 8:08 PM
  John,

I caught a shot of you judging one of Dave Jensen's cars - as you were talking with Clyde.

Ken

JM    -- 06-20-2016 @ 5:21 AM
  Thanks Ken! I was able to download that. That picture reminds me of how hot it was out there on the Concourse. I can't tell you how much water I drank that day and sweated every drop of it back out, but loved every minute of that day and the meet. I am in Wheeling WV right now at the big Cabela's store buying myself some Father's Day presents :D. Should be home tonight. The '35 has not missed a beat except for a few vapor lock stumbles

John

Cecil/WV    -- 06-20-2016 @ 1:58 PM
  Jeff, Sorry you didn't make it. We had a great time visiting with many friends and making some new ones, also. Got a lead on some NOS parts for the '48. Placed 2nd in Touring A with my '40 pickup. Was able to speak 2 times about the Foundation and the upcoming ENM in Gettysburg. Drove 800 miles on Friday and spent the night in Columbus, OH and got home after a late start on Sat at 5:15pm. Spent some quality time with the Parsons. The 2009 F 150 I bought from him averaged just under 12 mpg pulling my Featherlite trailer.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

42oink    -- 06-26-2016 @ 2:15 PM
  JM, What a great photo!! Tudor flatbacks from 35-37 are some of my favorite Fords. This almost HAS to be a cover for the V8 Times. Send it in and thanks for sharing. Gosh, I gotta get back in the shed! 42 oink.

VT/JeffH    -- 07-03-2016 @ 7:38 AM
  Thanks for the reports everyone. I sure missed being there! I've set aside some time in October, maybe I'll be taking a plane ride...

Can't wait to see my V-8 Club national friends again. Sorta even looking forward to seeing McBurney. Brainerd didn't last long enough!

-VT/JeffH

carcrazy    -- 07-03-2016 @ 4:20 PM
  We drove our '53 Courier to the CNM in Tulsa from Monterey via St. Louis. We visited with family in St. Louis before proceeding to Tulsa. Our total trip length was 4480 miles. Driving a Flathead powered Ford through the desert in the summer heat may not have been the wisest thing to do. Ambient temperatures in the desert were unseasonably high for this time and reached a high of 120 degrees. The old Ford would run through these extreme temps without too much protest unless we had to stop. After a stop the car would vapor lock - it would start OK but die as soon as we headed out into traffic! We discovered some ways to drive around this problem that would work most of the time: turn on the auxiliary electric fuel pump, allow the engine to run at fast idle for 30 seconds before and after a stop, and when all else failed - use some starting fluid to get it running.

We met many interesting folks and saw many beautiful cars. We also scored a set of EAB cylinder heads in the swap meet along with a cable for a fresh air vent.

We came away with two trophies: one for Longest Distance Traveled and a 1st Place in one of the Touring A Classes - it helps if yours is the only car in the class!

On the return trip from the meet we lost a front wheel bearing on the tollway just West of Tulsa. This slowed us down a bit as we had to wait about four hours for it to be repaired before we were able to get back on the road.

We are looking forward to driving the '53 to the Bakersfield WNM in October.

Kens 36    -- 07-03-2016 @ 5:52 PM
  Nice long distance trophy!

Ken

JM    -- 07-04-2016 @ 11:45 AM
  42oink,
I have to agree with you on liking the Flatbacks from 35-37. Would love to own a 37 FB, but for some reason I
keep buying 35's that seem to find me. I am also very fond of what I call the slope back sedans, 38 deluxe to 40. It was just something about how nicely they sloped from the roof line to the tail pan. Always wanted to own one of those as well, and maybe there is still time .

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9781