Topic: Noisy flathead valves ?

grump40    -- 03-25-2010 @ 8:03 AM
  My rebuilt v8 has a 4 " stroke and bored .030 over a few years ago but has not been driven more then 500 miles since. The motor is very noisy valve clatter even after adjusting. Any ideas ? Thanks for any help.

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 8:36 AM
  Are you using adjustable tappets or grinding the stems to get clearance? Some adjustables have poor locks that allow the clearance to open even after light use. We use the "go-no go" feeler gauges to set valves. Double check the guide forks to be sure they are all seated. We have switched to one piece guides, as the two part guides often allow excessive stem clearance, which contributes to valve noise. Reusing valve springs can cause valve noise, as well. With only 500 miles on the engine, I'd run it a while to see if it will quiet down. Finally, be sure the noise is actually from the valve train. There are other sources of clicking noise.

jaxV8carz    -- 03-25-2010 @ 4:11 PM
  In the old flathead...what could be causing a single, tick, tick, tick? Not real loud but noticible.

trjford8    -- 03-25-2010 @ 6:34 PM
  The fuel pump can cause that noise.

TomO    -- 03-27-2010 @ 11:30 AM
  Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to isolate the area that the noise is coming from. There are many items that can cause the tick tick sound.

Once you have isolated it, update your post with the information.

Valve noise could be from sticky valves, guide keepers not installed correctly, adjustable lifters with burrs on the screw heads or a picky owner.

The last one is the easiest to fix. Just listen to another flathead with the hood open, If your car's valve noise is louder, you have to decide if it is too loud and will cause trouble later or it is just noisy and may get quieter after running a while.

Adjustable lifters are usually noisier the stock Ford lifters, and if they are adjusted correctly you should be able to hear them, especially when the engine is not at operating temperature.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-27-2010 @ 12:49 PM
  When the motor was rebuilt, was a new cam installed,
like a modified? or a stock cam,with new cam bearing,this make a big difference, I assume you ajusted the valves to 10-12 on intake and 14-16 exhaust,
also a bad or loose timing gear can make a ticking noise,do not rule this out,by the mileage that you have on it,if you replace the gears that had rough machining on them ? or fit to tight they can break off some teeth, I saw this done,
I saw gear fail in 400 miles, is it a fiber timing gear or aluminum. the aluminum gears make more noise,
did you look at the camshaft, was the lobes ok,no flat spots, bottom of lifters flat, not concave
I think also maybe the valve springs could be the problem maybe floating ? it it noisy at idle ?
some of the foreign ones are prone to breaking at higher speeds , because of to long,
Also was the engine quieter when first started, and the ticking became louder,as time went along,?
let hear how you made out, it the valves are ajust to spec, then there is a problem elseware,
the more info we have the easier is to try to help,
my 3cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

41farmboy    -- 04-07-2010 @ 5:34 PM
  If you have used a stroker crank you could have 1 rod bolt ticking on the pan. Use a piece of copper tubing as a phone line by putting on the pan and against your ear.
Happened to me once using a 4" crank in a Ford block and pan.

41farmboy

This message was edited by 41farmboy on 4-7-10 @ 5:38 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=978