Topic: Will not start when hot

Dream38v8    -- 06-12-2016 @ 5:15 PM
  I just purchased a '38 Deluxe Fordor Sedan (85hp). My problem is the car will kill or not start when hot. I can start the car when cold and go for a short drive. The car my die at a stop sign and then will not start. If I make it back home before it dies and park the car it will not start until the car cools down. I've replaced the ignition resister and condenser. The previous owner recently replaced the coil. The car is still has a 6V electrical system. It's cruising seanson and I can't go cruising.

flathead4rd    -- 06-12-2016 @ 5:20 PM
  It may be time for and electric fuel pump. Sounds like vapor lock.

MG    -- 06-12-2016 @ 5:20 PM
  Sounds like a typical bad coil to me. Where did the previous owner get the coil? Ideally, a replacement coil would be a rebuilt one from Skip Haney....

DD931    -- 06-12-2016 @ 5:37 PM
  Classic bad coil problem. Send yours to Skip Haney for a rebuild.

40 Coupe    -- 06-13-2016 @ 4:38 AM
  It could be the coil or a second bad condenser, both can be checked by Skip Haney. Does you car have the Stromberg or the Ford Holley carburetor? The 94 Carbs (Holley type). are some what prone to leaking power valves or their gaskets. Charlie Schwendler is the 94 repair person (see V8 Times, Services section of classified) as well as fuel pumps. Check out the ignition first, then the carb if the ignition is OK.

TomO    -- 06-13-2016 @ 7:55 AM
  There may be many guesses as to why your car won't start, but a couple of tests can help isolate the problem.

Check your spark:
Start the car and let it warm up in the driveway until the dash temperature gauge reads in the middle.
Pull a plug wire with a pair of insulated pliers and hold it near a head nut with the engine idling.
The spark should be blue in color and at least 1/2" long.
If the spark is weak or orange colored, you have an ignition problem (bad coil, bad condenser, incorrect dwell of the points.)

If the spark is good, shut off the engine and let it sit for a few minutes and try to start the car, without pressing on the accelerator pedal. If it doesn't start right up, floor the accelerator pedal and try it again. If the car starts, the engine was flooded and you need to have the carburetor rebuilt.

When the car cools down, check the spark plugs for good combustion. If they are black and sooty, the carburetor should be rebuilt.

Tom

RAK402    -- 06-13-2016 @ 12:32 PM
  I have had several of the repro (Ford Script) coils fail on my over the last 40 years. This happened most recently about three weeks ago.

I had a spare coil in the trunk and swapped it-the engine started right up and I was able to drive home.

Dream38v8    -- 06-13-2016 @ 4:56 PM
  The car is equipped with an electric fuel pump and it is working.

Dream38v8    -- 06-13-2016 @ 4:58 PM
  Thanks. This is my thought also. I've had a problem with a newer car (1969) and the cat acted the same way. How do I contact Skip add I am a very new owner of a flathead.

Dream38v8    -- 06-13-2016 @ 4:59 PM
  Yes to both questions.

MG    -- 06-13-2016 @ 6:55 PM
  Use this link to contact Slip Haney > http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9767