Topic: Palnuts for trim - '46-'48

len47merc    -- 06-09-2016 @ 7:57 AM
  Were the palnuts used to secure fender and quarterpanel trim to the body (style 'DF', 10-24 equivalent thread) on '46s-'48s originally hollow or was some material such as mastic, neoprene or dum dum used under/inside them to seal the hole through which the clip stud protrudes?

Steve

kubes40    -- 06-09-2016 @ 8:51 AM
  Steve,
Of all the cars I have restored I have seen but one "sealant".
There was some sort of putty used on (over) the nuts. I am thinking it was most likely a spray on tar type material. I make that judgement as to how it appeared to have been applied - obviously sprayed or "hosed" on.

len47merc    -- 06-09-2016 @ 9:05 AM
  Thanks Mike. Preserving the lone bugger'd up trim piece on the '47 (Merc holy grail - longer, wider trim on the RF fender) and need to replace a few of the original nuts and see all sorts of options but could find no resource material on which is correct. Appreciate your weighing in.

Steve

len47merc    -- 06-13-2016 @ 4:50 AM
  Mike - should've asked this earlier. During your restorations, and knowing the high quality of your work as well as the scoring results your restorations realize, do you use the hollow, unfilled (with mastic/neoprene/dum dum) palnuts when reinstalling/preserving/restoring your trim and then spray them with, say, undercoating? Or do you leave them and the stud holes unsealed? Or...? Thanks -

Steve

kubes40    -- 06-13-2016 @ 5:32 AM
  Steve, I use copies of the authentic hex nuts and lock washers. Inside the body, I use a little body caulk to seal around the respective holes / studs. Hope this helps

Mike

len47merc    -- 06-13-2016 @ 5:51 AM
  Thanks Mike!

Steve

trjford8    -- 06-13-2016 @ 10:20 AM
  Go to your local automotive paint store and get Heavy Duty Drip Check sealant by 3 M. I would avoid any silicone based sealants.

len47merc    -- 06-13-2016 @ 12:05 PM
  trjford8 - just returned home from my 'go-to for small jobs' restoration shop where I was inquiring about what body caulk (per Mike's reply) they used and saw your reply. They gave me a gratis opened tube with a more than adequate amount remaining of Heavy Duty Drip Check sealant by 3M to do my job. Thanks for weighing in with the endorsement trjford8 - replacing trim after the afternoon heat subsides.

Steve

trjford8    -- 06-14-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  You're welcome. I've used that sealer for years to seal the clips and pal nuts on automotive trim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9762