Topic: horn button 36

rdofloor    -- 06-05-2016 @ 10:26 AM
  How do I get the horn button of my 36 banjo steering wheel. I thing I have a wire shorted because I have both wire going to the horn are hot and they will not work. I hooked up a wire to the horn and grounded it and they work.

Roger

ford38v8    -- 06-05-2016 @ 2:14 PM
  Roger, The horns are hot, as you have discovered. The ground for the horn is supplied at the horn button. You may remove the bale at the bottom of the steering gear to find the horn's ground wire running up the center tube to the horn button. Hopefully, you'll be able to correct the problem at that point, but if not, there is a spring loaded clip on that bottom tube that will release the tube/horn button. If you have a closed car, it will be difficult to remove this tube, as it will hit the overhead, and you must not bend it. Still, with the bottom clip released, you shouldn't have to completely remove the tube to make your repair.

Alan

rdofloor    -- 06-05-2016 @ 3:39 PM
  Alan

Then both wires going to the horn will be hot? I hooked a ground to one of the wires and the horn sounded.

I thought that when you pushed on the horn it made the ground.

Roger

This message was edited by rdofloor on 6-5-16 @ 3:40 PM

ford38v8    -- 06-05-2016 @ 3:46 PM
  Yes, when you push the horn button, that grounds the horn(s). One wire to the horns is hot, the other goes to the horn button.

Alan

rdofloor    -- 06-07-2016 @ 12:30 PM
  Thank you Alan I think that I found the problem, and you were right on the clip I was carful and still had to make a new one I could not find it.

thanks for the help
Roger

TomO    -- 06-08-2016 @ 7:21 AM
  Roger, when you use a voltmeter to troubleshoot, you can be confused by a circuit that needs a ground to complete it, like the horn circuit. You will read battery voltage on both wires because your meter is connected to ground and neither of the wires is connected to ground.

Most circuits in a car are grounded and need the battery voltage provided to operate, so a voltmeter will read the way that you expect.

Your horn button is connected to a long rod. When trying to remove this rod, you must be careful to not bend it. If you do bend it, your horn may operate when you turn corners and your lights can turn on and off on turns.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9751