Topic: 1950 Instrument / speedometer lighting

rick50    -- 06-05-2016 @ 8:40 AM
  I have a 1950 Deluxe with the following problem. The glass filters that are supposed to color the instrument lighting have discolored and will not allow any light to pass through. I would like to match the color of the illumination of the clock and radio. Are reproduction filters available? I haven't found any for sale. If the filters are not available what type and color of paint should I paint the bulbs to obtain the correct color illumination for the gauge cluster? The original color is a beautiful green color. Thanks. Rick

ken ct.    -- 06-05-2016 @ 10:41 AM
  I have 1 good used original strip left. I cant do pics but could send snail mail a tracing of it. Its 1/2" wide and 6 1/4" long and opage green in color. ken ct. PM , email or cell 1-203-260-5945. any time up till 9:oo est please. Had some new shorter but cant find them. That one is all I could find. ken ct.

JT Ford    -- 06-05-2016 @ 5:07 PM
  The original black light glass is not for sale any longer. You will need to remove at least two of them and paint the bulbs. Try green and if you don't like the color, try another color until you get what you want.

rick50    -- 06-06-2016 @ 3:17 AM
  Thanks for the replies. Ken, is the strip that you are referring to for the clock? I don't remember seeing a strip for the speedometer. My clock lighting is working properly. I think I'm going to try green engine paint so the heat from the bulbs does not cause the paint to burn.

ken ct.    -- 06-06-2016 @ 4:24 AM
  Don't know what its from.I assume it was from a ford.I had some shorter pcs which fit the 36 speedos but cant find them They were same material but shorter like 3" in length same width 1/2". I sold a couple of them a mth. ago but still had some left. I don't think engine paint would work , too much pigment in the paint. You need something more translutant,mabey in a craft store may have what you need !!! ,ken ct.

rick50    -- 06-08-2016 @ 4:02 AM
  I was concerned about too much pigment also. I remember seeing some"candy" type engine paint at the auto parts store. I was going to see what colors they had. It will be a little while before I have a chance to work on the Ford. The roof on my house is leaking. That is a priority for the moment.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9750