Topic: 48 Carb Question

swmddo    -- 03-25-2010 @ 5:50 AM
  My carb on my 48 coupe is 59A-9510. The connection parts on the carb for the "throttle" cable appear to be OK, but they pop off with the spring when the cable is pulled to operate the throttle. I have tried numerous times to figure out if I was missing a part or had it connected wrong. Any ideas?

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B42JqNzTIw4FMDMzMDdkYjMtMjczNy00OWI4LWJjMTYtMGVkMTIzMmU2MGFi&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B42JqNzTIw4FMzhkN2RmODItMDRhMS00MzMwLTg5NmUtMzZiODMzYTIzMTFh&hl=en

Thanks

Steve

This message was edited by swmddo on 3-25-10 @ 7:37 AM

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 9:01 AM
  Do you have the rubber "ball" covers on the shafts? If they are missing, the spring catches will not hold. The four piece kit at C&G (91A-9714A) is about $4. (800/266-0470).

swmddo    -- 03-25-2010 @ 10:01 AM
  OK, Bob, when you say the rubber ball, do THOSE fit onto the shaft on the carb? If so, then I don't have them. Will need to order.

Steve

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 12:38 PM
  They just fit over the ball on the throttle and choke shaft levers, then the spring loaded connector fits over the ball. There is a picture of them on Pg.128 of the C&G catalog. You need four covers, as they go on each end of the choke and throttle links.

swmddo    -- 03-25-2010 @ 12:53 PM
  Thanks. Are you saying, though, that in this attached picture, that there should be one of those rubber balls on this shaft? Then the throttle lever, spring, and connector go on next, and THEN the actual cable end connector goes on to the lever/link?

Steve

40guy    -- 03-25-2010 @ 1:12 PM
  No, the rubber ball does not go on the shaft in the photo. The order of assenbly is: [starting with that shaft in the photo] 1-throttle arm 2-spring 3-retainer 4-rubber ball over the ball of the throttle arm. Do you have all of these pieces?

Stroker    -- 03-25-2010 @ 2:23 PM
  All:

Are these little rubber ball-bushings used on other years? I've seen them listed from repro-suppliers, but in my experience with early, (mainly 35-41,)Fords have never encountered them. Were they simply "missing" having rotted away, or not originally supplied on earlier models? Likewise, I've seen a number of floor-shift transmission "boots", that I don't believe were ever installed originally. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan

40guy    -- 03-25-2010 @ 2:44 PM
  Yes the rubber balls were on earlier models. If they come in contact with fuel as they usually do on flatheads; they don't last too long. That may be why you haven't encountered them.

Stroker    -- 03-25-2010 @ 2:55 PM
  40 Guy:

Thanks, I might also add that I grew up just a few miles from the Kaiser Steel Mill in Fontana
(now the site of the Auto Club 500), so perhaps the smog ate all the little rubber balls! Rubber
parts in SoCal would "petrify" in a matter of months.

Dan

swmddo    -- 03-26-2010 @ 4:46 AM
  40Guy, I have all the pieces EXCEPT the rubber ball. Here is a picture with the throttle arm, spring (hidden under the retainer), and retainer.

Thanks

Steve

40guy    -- 03-26-2010 @ 11:11 AM
  Looks good. Just put a rubber ball over that ball in the picture and you're good to go. By the way; a rubber ball goes on the choke arm as well as both points of the accelerator linkage.

supereal    -- 03-26-2010 @ 12:25 PM
  The rubber ball covers were added in late '38 or early '39, thru '48. Check the metal ball ends on the throttle and choke levers, as some have sharp edges left from the stamping that will eat the rubber. A bit of filing may be in order.

donclink    -- 03-26-2010 @ 2:19 PM
  Steve, if I understand your question, the hand throttle collar, spring and lever come off of the throttle shaft when you pull the cable. If that's the case, I would suspect that the collar itself might be the problem. It sounds like the detents in the collar that lock to the shaft are allowing the collar to slip around to the point where it falls off. The hand throttle is also pulling against the gas pedal spring if the pedal is not depressed. Try it with the gas pedal down to see if holds together.
What you have pictured looks just like my '47.

Stroker    -- 03-26-2010 @ 3:29 PM
  Super et al:

Your post that these were used on late 38-48 would be consistent with my observations. Question:
I've seen 2-different foot-throttle ends, one that looks like a vitamin capsule (on early Fords)
and one that looks more like a "bullet". The bullet design has a small "flange" similar to the
rim on a 32 caliber round, that surrounds the control rod. These appear to be bigger than the early "capsule" design, which might explain the rubber ball-bushing. Problem with this logic is that
we had an unmolested 35 Ford ton-and-a-half that used the "bullet" design. Anyone have any thoughts
on this?

Dan

swmddo    -- 03-26-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  Don, yes that is exactly what is happening. I suspected that the collar might be the problem, but it doesn't look like there was any abnormal-type wear on it. Are those collars available anywhere?

Thanks

Steve

donclink    -- 03-27-2010 @ 6:49 AM
  Steve, Vintage Speed Equipment has them listed in their online catalog:

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadegdha&GHOME=www.vintagespeed.com&TITLE=VINTAGE_SPEED

TomO    -- 03-27-2010 @ 11:14 AM
  Steve, is the cable popping off of the link or or is the link popping off of the carburetor?

If the link is popping off of the carburetor, you may not have the flanged end of the throttle shaft seated in the recess of the collar or the collar is worn. The flange on the shaft could also be worn.

Tom

swmddo    -- 03-27-2010 @ 4:13 PM
  Tom and Don, thanks for the info. The collar is what is popping off when the throttle lever is pulled toward the firewall with the cable. The cable stays attached, but once the collar pops off, along with the spring, I am in trouble. The flange on the shaft appears to be in good shape. I will get that new collar! Appreciate it much!

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=975