Topic: Steering worm gear removal

dclark308    -- 03-25-2010 @ 4:49 AM
  I'd like get a steering worm gear off the end of a steering shaft without damaging either.

I tried a gear puller, but since it didn't look like it wanted to move I didn't want to force it.

What's the correct procedure to get it off?

Thanks, Dave

swmddo    -- 03-25-2010 @ 5:53 AM
  Dave, I had the same issue, but found it was both more economical AND less frustrating to just get the entire shaft with the worm gear already on it. The difference in cost was not that much, and then I would have had to get someone to attach the new worm gear to the shaft.

Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-25-2010 @ 6:30 AM
  you need to have a special puller, a friend of mine made one, 2 pieces of heavy flat stock and to 2 large bolts,with a hole in the one just a little larger then the shaft.this works quite well,
to install the new gear you can freeze the shaft by putting into ice cubes cooling the shaft and heat the gear using a good heat gun,
if they are made correctly should slide on,maybe a little tapping with a brass drift, once cooled should be good to go,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN
maybe some one else with weigh on the removing the worm gear,

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 12:48 PM
  By the time you have the worm pressed on and off the shaft with an arbor press, you will be money ahead to buy the worm/shaft assembly. The worm, alone, is about $75, and the whole unit is about $130, leaving about fifty bucks for the shop labor. The threads at the top of the old shaft are often worn or damaged, so a new shaft will fix that. Be advised that some of these will require some modification of the shaft hole to accommodate the horn/light tube.

51f1    -- 03-25-2010 @ 3:48 PM
  I tried replacing the worm gear. The replacement had a slightly different spline. I gave up and got the shaft with the gear installed.

The gear I got was NOS. I think that some of this NOS stuff is still around because it didn't fit or was defective when it was new. I got a transmission gear that wouldn't fit on the shaft until I carefully filed the gear splines.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=974