Topic: 1940 Standard Coupe Survivor

Agshelby    -- 05-25-2016 @ 5:15 PM
  New member with my survivor coupe. I'm getting it back on the road as a survivor and will be preserving as much as possible.

I picked the car up from the 3rd owner, who had the car since '63.

The car is remarkably preserved. The third owner had it since 1964 and had used it for shows in the 60s and then pretty much garaged it since. He hand wrote the story of the car - with the history from the first owner who was a woman in Houston, to the second owner who was killed in WW2 in 1943. The car came with the plates from 1942 with the 1943 ad-on tags. The soldier's parents stored the car (for 7.00 a month) up until late 1963, when the third owner purchased it out of the storage garage. He bought the car with around 30K miles. There are oil change stickers in the door jamb attesting to oil changes in '64 with mileage of 31K miles.

The third owner entered the car in car shows in Houston in 1964 and passed along the trophy that he had won. From there the car pretty much sat in his garage was used sparingly up until 2 years ago. The car has 33978 miles on the clock.

Aside from the engine being rebuilt in 2004 - the car is all original. It has the toolkit, jack with instructions still wired to the handle, and the interior, chrome etc is all as it came from the factory back in 1940.

My plans are to replace the old rotten tires - then make it road worthy. There are a few hacks in the wiring harness that need to be addressed and the owner included a new factory harness and various Ford parts with the car. It is far too original to restore or modify and I want to enjoy it in the stock state. The paint has chips and patina, the chrome is pitting, but all in all it is in super shape for a car that is 76 years old. The body is immaculate - I could not find a single dent and the inner fenders and seams are completely damage free.

The only mods to the car are the deluxe glove box door (the original is included) - a 2nd tail light, and the factory accessory trim on the bumpers. The PO said that the tail light and extra trim were dealer installed for the first owner.

The 3rd owner as we loaded the car:

This message was edited by Agshelby on 5-25-16 @ 5:19 PM

Agshelby    -- 05-25-2016 @ 5:16 PM
  More photos:

RAK402    -- 05-25-2016 @ 7:41 PM
  Very nice!

nelsb01    -- 05-25-2016 @ 7:44 PM
  Let me be the first to welcome you!
The Early Ford V-8 Club has a perfect class for your very nice 1940 Ford Coupe. That will be the Rouge Class. A class that is for members who preserve the originality of their vehicles. It is the Class where condition does not count, as long as it is original. So, the pits in the chrome, the faded paint, the dusty interior, the separated glass, all add to the preservation of the vehicle.
The Rouge Class does allow for 'updates' -- such as wiring, hoses, tires -- items that will allow you to show and enjoy the vehicle without having to restore parts of the vehicle.

I am the 3rd owner of a very original 1949 Ford Custom Fordor and am also a 6 time Rouge Class Award winner for exterior and interior. When I purchased my 1949 it had 30,000 miles on it. It now has 48,000. All miles enjoying the vehicle, and getting a lot of "I had one just like that" comments.
Get new tires. Replace the wiring. Check the fluids and replace as necessary. Find those two lane roads to travel on. But, most of all have a good time.

trjford8    -- 05-26-2016 @ 6:40 AM
  You hit a home run in finding that 40. Don't touch it except to replace those items that need replacing. I'm sure it needs tires, hoses, fan belt, etc. If the wiring needs replacing( flaking insulation, etc.) then replace it also. It's a great looking Rouge type car, so preserve as much as you can. They are only original once.

TomO    -- 05-26-2016 @ 7:46 AM
  I love your Cloudmist Gray coupe. It reminds me of the one that I had back in 1950 -1951. It also was an low mileage survivor with 15,000 miles when I bought it as the second owner.

I also own a Rouge car, a 1953 Lincoln Capri Coupe. It had 38,500 when I bought it.

In the front of the Roster are the rules for judging a Rouge car. Read them every time that you want to change or improve something. Doing so will prevent you from doing something that will eliminate your car from the Rouge class.

After those cautions, most people in the Early Ford V-8 Club believe that an owner can do anything he wants to his car as long as he doesn't mind the consequences in judging the car.

Tom

Kens 36    -- 05-26-2016 @ 8:45 AM
  Agshelby,

Congratulations on finding an excellent survivor. Original, unmolested Early Ford vehicles are among the most popular at Early Ford V-8 Club meets.

A couple of clarifications. First, the Rouge judging instructions are no longer located in the Roster of Members. They ARE available on this website. On the left side, click on National Club Information, then Forms. Click on National Judging Manual to open a PDF form describing all vehicle classes at Early Ford V-8 Club meets. On page 7 you will find complete guidelines for the Rouge (original) Division.

Also note item "M" regarding wiring. The Rouge guidelines allow you to replace, without penalty, the "minimum amount of wiring" to ensure dependable operation and drivability. Replacement of the entire wiring harness is discouraged. However, it is your car and you will need to make the judgement as to how much of the wiring you need to replace for safety.

Enjoy your find!

Ken

TomO    -- 05-26-2016 @ 8:53 AM
  Thanks Ken for correcting my post. I forgot about the change in the Roster and could not find the Judging Instructions on the website.

Tom

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:26 PM
  Thanks for the welcome. The wiring is aged - but the previous owner included a new harness. I do intend to try for a Rouge award - here are a few more photos:

Tool kit:

This message was edited by Agshelby on 5-26-16 @ 4:27 PM

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:28 PM
  Original jack instructions:

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:28 PM
  Original spare - looks like new:

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:29 PM
  Original split radiator (I had not seen this before)

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:30 PM
  Original interior: The correct glove box is in an envelope - anyone need a deluxe door?

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:31 PM
  The car has a hot water heater and another heater that works off an exhaust heat exchanger. It also has defrost.

Agshelby    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:33 PM
  The original pedals pads are like new under these extender pads.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9709