Topic: Crank Handle & Tool Questions

len47merc    -- 05-25-2016 @ 1:03 PM
  1) What year were engine cranking handles/equipment no longer included with cars as standard equipment?
2) What year were tool kits no longer included with cars as standard equipment?
3) Was the timing of the suspension of the supply of either of the above consistent 'across the board' or 'make' specific (Ford vs. Mercury vs. Lincoln, etc.)

Steve

woodiewagon46    -- 05-25-2016 @ 3:51 PM
  len, according to the 1941 thru 1948 Ford Book, offered by the V-8 Club the practice of including tools with vehicles stopped in 1946. The following tools came with '41 thru '46 vehicles. An end wrench, 7/16"x 1/2", a 9/16"x 5/8" end wrench, head nut and spark plug wrench, screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, passenger jack, jack handle and tire wrench combo. and lug wrench and tool pouch. I see no mention of a crank for ether years. I would think Ford and Mercury were probably the same. As you may know Ford used up all their remaining stock so I wouldn't be surprised if some '47 cars had tool kits placed in the trunk. There was several variations of all the tools.

len47merc    -- 05-25-2016 @ 5:44 PM
  Thanks woodiewagon46. I have the same book and am asking the questions for a colleague looking at an original '50 Merc as well as a colleague looking at a '40 Std Cpe.. I'm not bad on '46s-'48s, but when these items stopped being supplied I have no clue. Still working on a period correct tool kit for my '47 and know, per the book, no crank is required for me, but for my buds - well - looking for education. Thanks again -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-25-16 @ 5:45 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 05-26-2016 @ 6:22 AM
  len, I would doubt that a '50 Mercury came with a tool kit. By the early '50s the day's of repairing your car on the side of the road were over. That's what is so great about this site, ask a question and you get enough guy's chipping in with answers. At one time we would write into a magazine with a question and a couple of months later at the answer would appear. Now it's instant gratification. I would imagine that the tool kit for a '40 would be about the same as a '41 thru '46. Let us know what you find out!

TomO    -- 05-26-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  Steve,

Lin Stacey can answer all of your questions on tools and can supply some of the correct tools for any Ford built automobile. Here is a link to his website.

http://flatheadtools.net/typical-tool-kits.html

Tom

len47merc    -- 05-26-2016 @ 9:38 AM
  Thanks guys for the input and contact. Really appreciate it! I will reach out to Mr. Stacey.

Steve

kubes40    -- 05-26-2016 @ 5:21 PM
  Steve, At least by 1940, the engine crank and requisite extension rod were no longer part of the tool kit supplied with a new 1940 Ford. Both items remained available through dealer stock but to reiterate, they were NOT included in the tool kit.
Mike Kubarth

len47merc    -- 05-27-2016 @ 8:53 AM
  Thanks Mike - that helps as well on the '40. Appreciate your weighing in.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9707