Topic: Head replacement

voced    -- 05-25-2016 @ 6:24 AM
  I have a 35 Ford all original pickup that has a cracked head on the left side. I don't know how it cracked, because it always had antifreeze and stayed in a heated garage for the last 4 years that I owned it.
My question is do I put on a set of original aluminum heads that have or just replace the bad one with another cast steel one? And what head gasket should I use?
I did replace the waterpumps a year ago that I purchased from MAC's.
I drive this pickup almost everyday in the summer to the coffee shop. It runs like a dream.

lazy69ranch    -- 05-25-2016 @ 9:07 AM
  Sorry to hear about the cracked head. I had the same thing happen on the left side of my 35 coupe's aluminum head for no apparent reason (no overheating or freezing, just old equipment). I replaced both with a used set of cast iron heads I found through the classifieds here. I had them resurfaced at a local machine shop, used a FelPro (non-copper) set of head gaskets, and have had no problems since. A couple of the studs came off with the nut during the process so I replaced them and sealed the threads with #2 Permatex. I believe the torque spec is 50 ft lbs for the stud nuts and there's a torque sequence that essentially begins in the center and works outward in a clock-like fashion. Others will likely chime in here on the specifics to share their perspectives and experiences with copper gaskets, thread sealant, etc. Best of luck to you, great looking truck. Black is beautiful.

Dan

CharlieStephens    -- 05-25-2016 @ 10:02 AM
  I don't know all the details but remember that there were flat top and dome top pistons and the heads need to be compatible.

Charlie Stephens

voced    -- 05-26-2016 @ 4:52 PM
  What years did they put the factory aluminum heads on. Did they ever put them on 1935 pickups? Was there any advantage to having them?
Jerry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9705