Topic: Fuel Pump Removal/Installation

Steves46    -- 03-22-2010 @ 6:33 PM
  This appears to be a straight forward operation but since will be my first experience changing out a fuel pump (glass bowl type) on my 59AB, I want to try my best to do it right and not screw anything else up in the process. What is the best way of removing the old pump; I am guessing removing the 2 bolts on the manifold and lifting out the oil fill tube and pump assy. After installing the replacement, do I need to apply a little grease in the cup on the lever? Is ther any helpful tips or things I need to be cautious of? My apologies for all of the questions and appreciate any advice from the seasoned veterans out there.

40guy    -- 03-22-2010 @ 6:57 PM
  That is correct sir. I find taking the pump and stand off as a unit easier to work with. Just one word of caution: Do not over tighten the bolts that hold the pump to the stand. The stand is aluminum or some kind of cast and will stip out in a New York minute. When re-assembling, you'll have to push the unit down to put the nuts back on the intake studs. Resistance is a sure sign everything is oriented correctly. If you are unfortunate enough to strip the holes in the stand, just tap to the next size up and don't strip them.

TomO    -- 03-23-2010 @ 7:54 AM
  You should also pack the fuel pump housing for the operating arm pivot with a low temperature grease.

Tom

Steves46    -- 03-23-2010 @ 8:30 AM
  Tom, at the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm not sure exactly what area this is. The rebuilt one I will be installing has some grease in the cup at the end of the arm.

supereal    -- 03-23-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  I agree that removing the pump stand makes the job easier, and you are less likely to have to chase dropped parts. Be sure that the pump rod is at the top of its stroke, as this makes placing the rod in the arm cup easier. Don't overtighten the fuel lines, as stripping the connections is possible. As for greasing the socket on the pump arm, we don't bother. It can make feeling the rod drop into the cup tricky, and since the cup is doused with oil at every change, or when oil is added, it stays lubed. Grease will help keep the pump to stand gasket in place while you bolt on the pump. Use new gaskets at both the bottom of the stand, and between the pump and stand, of course.

Steves46    -- 03-23-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  Thanks to all for the tips. I changed it out this evening, fired her up and it's running great with no leaks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=969