Topic: New Holly Carbs?

RAK402    -- 05-18-2016 @ 7:50 PM
  Anyone tried the new carbs that have been appearing on the market. I assume they are made offshore-I wondered how they are working out.

I am tired of rebuilding old, old (very old) carbs.

Big Red 51    -- 05-19-2016 @ 6:29 AM
  RAK, Dennis Carpenter is making them in Concord NC, the Holley 94 from scratch, and even tests them on a flathead before shipping. I saw the process last summer during the Eastern Meet. I got one two years ago and works perfect.
Don

This message was edited by Big Red 51 on 5-19-16 @ 6:30 AM

len47merc    -- 05-19-2016 @ 8:46 AM
  Regarding Carpenter's made in Concord I have to agree they are literally 'plug-n-play'. I have to say though that once the original Ford/Holley carb on my 59AB was finally rebuilt with all quality components and ALL tolerances returned to original/standard or better that the motor runs more than perceive-ably better with the original.

No disrespect intended for DC's - they are nice, but $$$s. Plus $$$s. A top notch, expert rebuilder can rework/restore an original carb for much less.

Steve

Big Red 51    -- 05-19-2016 @ 7:44 PM
  Keep in mind that most buyers I know have purchased new ones become they have broken pieces such as tops or bowls or no cores at all. it is refreshing that we can actually buy a part for our old cars made in the USA. Now if Airtex would actually make their own fuel pumps rather than just assemble overseas inferior parts. The last two combo Airtex pumps I got both generated 7 1/2 to 8 lbs of pressure which is about 4 times more lbs than the 94's should try to operate with. And after about 800 miles the pressure was down to 5 1/2 lbs, then later down to 4 1/2 and finally could take the regulator off. I wonder how long until it reaches 0 lbs pressure. Some spring. No question, always better to rebuild the old parts if you can. Don

This message was edited by Big Red 51 on 5-19-16 @ 7:45 PM

RAK402    -- 05-22-2016 @ 7:57 PM
  I want to thank you all for responding.

I went to my local vintage Ford Shop-Early Ford in San Dimas (very good people there) with the intention of purchasing one of the new carbs. I examined it, and it was extremely nice. The person working there was kind enough to point out that it was for a later model than my 1940 Sedan, and did not have the hand throttle on the left. He did state that he would have the new carbs with the hand throttle in a couple of weeks.

He then showed me an N.O.S. carb in the glass case, with the correct hand throttle (for slightly less than the new versions). I purchased this, took the top off to lube the accelerator pump leather, put the top back on and installed it (it was, by the way, completely clean and new inside).

The car has never started so easily nor run as good as it does now, in the 41 years that I have owned it.

One thing that always seemed to happen with my previous (old) carbs, was that the fuel drained from the bowl when the car was sitting, requiring enough cranking for the pump to fill the bowl before it would start. The new one seems not to have this issue (I have long suspected that the fuel was draining down through the economizer valve, but could never tell for sure.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9684