Topic: fog lamp wire?

Rickauf    -- 05-18-2016 @ 11:43 AM
  Hi all, thanks for all the help last fall, i FINALLY found a set of correct Unity Fog lamps for the 40 merc. Am going to get them replated and placed on. I have read all the info about foglamp installation (to rill, or not drill hole, etc to run wire.
My question(s) are:
1. do i run BOTH wires from Both lamps up to the switch.. or can i just join them and 'split the juice?'..if i join them..where is the best place to do so?
2. right know they have black vinyl coated wire. i would like to pick up some fabric coated wire. i know i have seen it at Carlisle and Hershey... is there anywhere i can order it direct?

also..what color/ pattern do i want? it seems to always be in houndstooth colors or stripes, etc. what is correct?
thanks!
Rick

Regards,
Rick Aufderheide

CharlieStephens    -- 05-18-2016 @ 12:38 PM
  I think Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts in Sacramento California sells the wire in bulk but I assume anyone that makes harnesses would also sell wire.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-18-16 @ 12:42 PM

Chris.NZ    -- 05-18-2016 @ 4:44 PM
  I have a couple of NOS 39 Unity fog lamps.
The wiring is black.

Drbrown    -- 05-18-2016 @ 9:33 PM
  Run both wires to your switch. They are thus run in "parallel" and the voltage is not reduced. This is why horn wires are run in parallel to the horn relay. If run in series, the second light at the end of the line would likely appear dimmer.

If your using cloth covered wire, I recommend that any wiring between the engine compartment and the light fixtures at the front bumper should be run inside period-correct woven water resistant covering. This is also available from various suppliers.

Color of wire covering is somewhat arbitrary since the fog lights were option equipment typically installed by the Dealer, and he might select whatever was at-hand.

Have fun using your fog lights. I have a pair of Unity's on my '47 and use them as often as I can. They are very helpful.

40 Coupe    -- 05-19-2016 @ 4:22 AM
  Believe the wires ran through the rubber grommets at the bumper arms and then followed the headlight wires to the metal cover on the firewall. There they connected to a "Y" connector and one wire ran to the road light switch. No need to drill a hole. The original style wire can be purchased from many suppliers of original style harnesses. If your on the east coast try Tyree Harris (see V8 Times)

kubes40    -- 05-19-2016 @ 6:05 AM
  Rick, I can only hope you'd purchased a "correct" set of lamps for your '40. More often than not, guys advertise their lamps as correct when clearly they are not. Before you have them plated, if you so desire... send me a photo and I will verify their authenticity.
If you want to install these lamps "concourse correct" then you should utilize either green or black fabric coated wiring. That's what Ford specified that Unity use in the kits supplied to Ford within the kit.
As far as routing the wire... instructions for installation clearly state that a 5/16" diameter hole be drilled in each fender above the bumper arm grommet and a small rubber grommet installed in the hole(s) to protect the wire(s).
In reality, most lamps were installed at the dealer level and most likely a serviceman would not have taken the time to drill hole(s) per the instructions. Thus, most installations probably saw the wire(s) routed through the bumper arm grommet. From there, the wire from the right lamp was routed to meet the wire from the left lamp. There, a three wire connector 'spliced" the two lamp wires and a single wire was run to the lamp switch. This wire was either green or black - cloth covered.
I seem to recall C&G had the wire available by the foot.

Hope this helps.
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-19-16 @ 6:07 AM

Rickauf    -- 05-24-2016 @ 9:37 AM
  Kubes.
Yes, they are correct for a 40 Mercury. I paid a 'kings ransom' for them from Frank Bruch who is a 40 Merc 'guru'...even got the correct switch. where does one mount the switch? I dont want to just drill a hole in dash in the wrong spot.
Also, as explained..two wires run in parallel. Do i run the wires up both sides of the engine department? or do i 'connect' them down by the grille? up at the firewall?
thanks much for all the responses.
Rick

Regards,
Rick Aufderheide

kubes40    -- 05-24-2016 @ 10:17 AM
  Rick,
Authentic lamp kits were supplied with one lamp having a far shorter wire than the other. That "short wire" lamp was meant to be mounted to the left. The "long wire" lamp to the right. The wires were to be connected through the use of a "2 to 1" butt connector near the front of the left frame rail. From there a single wire ran the remainder of the distance to the switch.
I can't speak with any authority as to the instrument panel on your '40 Mercury. I know the '40 Fords inside and out but the Merc? - not so much. The '40 Ford instrument panel has holes in the lip of the dash - to the left of the steering column for the switch top be mounted. Like the dash lamp rheostat, the holes for the lamp switch include one large hole (perhaps 3/8" diameter) set between two small (perhaps 1/8" diameter) holes.
My guess is they are present on your Merc' dash...
Sure hope this helps.

Mike Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9683