Topic: preference for a fire extinguisher for V8

40V8Ranger    -- 05-10-2016 @ 5:41 PM
  Good evening everyone,
Im trying to make a good decision on buying the correct fire extinguisher to keep in my "new" V8 (and also be qualifying at V8 meets). Firefight Products claims that it puts out a non-toxic and non-corrosive organic foam suppressant in case there was a fire (thus allegedly eliminating the apparent damage a dry powder extinguisher would cause to the paint, toxic fumes etc). Does anyone have any suggestions on the way to go here?

Scotty

ford38v8    -- 05-10-2016 @ 10:36 PM
  Scotty, The V8 Club Judging Standard requires a 2 1/2 lb UL Listed extinguisher to be placed in front of the left front tire of all cars on the field. This requirement is usually satisfied by the use of a 1A 10BC, or 2a 10BC extinguisher. While it is true that a powder extinguisher can itself damage a car, it is the most effective against an automotive fire for use by the general public.

It does not appear that Firefight Products has a product that qualifies under our rules. There are several name brand UL extinguishers available at most all big box stores: 1A 10BC for about $19, and a 2A10BC for about $40. I keep my Kidde 2A 10BC in the original cardboard box until removed for display on the concourse.

Alan

40V8Ranger    -- 05-11-2016 @ 10:28 AM
  Alan,
Thank you so much. You answered my question thoroughly.

Scotty

pauls39coupe    -- 05-11-2016 @ 6:10 PM
  Alan is correct as to the Club rules, the extinguisher must be placed by the front wheel while on the Concourse grounds.
I would make another recommendation that you keep one extinguisher handy, such as on a quick release bracket in the cab. If it is a fuel fire, you will have seconds to put it out. Searching through the boxes in your trunk for a fire extinguisher, while the car burns to the ground, makes for a bad day. Flames cause a lot more damage than powder residue from a fire extinguisher.
My coupe has a 5lb abc unit mounted behind the seat, a small co2 unit in the trunk, and a shiny 2 1/2 lb extinguisher in a box for the show. Overkill perhaps, but fire can ruin your whole day.

40V8Ranger    -- 05-12-2016 @ 12:54 AM
  Thank you Paul. Sound advice as well. As the old saying goes "expect the best , prepare for the worst"

Scotty

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9655