Topic: synchromesh

TNation    -- 05-08-2016 @ 7:23 PM
  I have what I think is a '39 transmission in my '36 Ford. When shifting into second gear, the synchromesh teeth clash - typical grinding noise. Has anyone out there had experience with a synchromesh from one of the vendors?

Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 05-09-2016 @ 5:29 AM
  There are a couple of different syncros as well as a couple of different styles used. Checking the serial number just above the clutch inspection cover will only identify the case. Many different years of gear sets can be installed into the same case. You have to remove the top shift mechanism to check inside to see if the transmission has blocker rings or the early style syncro. If you look at the top shift mechanism it may give you a CLUE. It should have a part number imbedded into the casting starting with 81A- and if the shift housing has cap screws on both sides of the cover it MAY BE a 39 style. There could be a couple of problems for 2nd gear to clash depending upon the syncro. I would suggest Mac VanPelt book on the early transmissions. It can help identify the gear set, as well as help rebuild and correct the problem.

juergen    -- 05-09-2016 @ 9:28 AM
  To add to the above, you need to take off the trans top cover to determine if you have a so-called 39 transmission. Looking at the synchro, if it looks like a hockey puck with a slot to the rear, it has the later style blocker synchro that characterizes a "39 trans"; if it looks like a donut with a slot in the center, it is the earlier style trans. I don't know what you mean by a "synchromesh from one of the vendors". If you mean the synchro itself, I would get a new one (actually NOS) if it is the early type. If you have the later synchro, I would get new brass blocking synchro rings. You will need to take apart the trans to install the parts. If you mean a whole trans, there are several known vendors who do excellent work, either rebuilding your trans, or sending another.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9651