Topic: License plate bracket

46coupe    -- 05-08-2016 @ 6:05 AM
  Hello again,
My second question is: where can I find a front license plate bracket for my 46? And where would it be mounted on the front bumper? I've seen some mounted in the center of the bumper and others toward the left drivers side. I've checked several sources but only find brackets for the rear for this car. Thanks in advance for your help.

42wagon    -- 05-08-2016 @ 6:22 AM
  From all the factory pictures I have seen, Henry intended the front license plate to be mounted in the center of the bumper. The bracket itself is similar to the rear bracket but has a different mounting piece to hold it to the bumper. Not sure where to find one if the usual sources don't have it.

TomO    -- 05-08-2016 @ 7:38 AM
  The P/N of the bracket is 51A-5034 and it is not reproduced. You will have to find a used one somewhere.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 05-08-2016 @ 8:11 AM
  On the '46 Ford the front license plate bracket is mounted center of the bumper. The bracket attaches to both a hole in the bumper and the spreader bar between the two bumper guards. If you saw a license plate on the drivers side it was probably installed by someone other than Ford.

46coupe    -- 05-08-2016 @ 11:09 AM
  Thanks for the responses. I was going to mount one in the middle of the bumper, but that is where the hole for the crank is located. Possibly I can find a used one or make one that will work.

4dFordSC    -- 05-08-2016 @ 6:59 PM
  I found one for a friend on eBay several years ago.

TomO    -- 05-09-2016 @ 6:41 AM
  Here is a link to a factory photo showing the license bracket.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=36147

How many times in the last 5 years have you cranked your engine to start it?

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-9-16 @ 6:43 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 05-09-2016 @ 7:34 AM
  About cranking a '46 ford, as Tom O ask's, "how many times have you cranked your engine to start it". I don't know about you guy's, but I have a hard time trying to start my Model A with a crank, and that is only 4 cylinders. Do any of you really try to start a V-8 flathead with a crank. I know I will get "I do it all the time" answer, but really, how many!

42oink    -- 05-09-2016 @ 11:12 AM
  Hi 46 Coupe, A possible source for this bracket is Mike (?) Kicsak in upstate New York. He is in the member register. He does shows and is very knowledgeable about things to do with our kinds of Fords. By the way, do you happen to need the trunk trim bars? I have a very nice set. Let me know if you do. Good luck. 42OINK

42wagon    -- 05-09-2016 @ 1:06 PM
  Just looked at my 42 as a refresher and also at some pictures of a 46. On the 42 there is a hole through the grille for the crank and also a bracket to support the crank as it passes under the radiator. Both are well above the bumper. A hole through the bumper would be too low to match up with the end of the crankshaft The hole you are seeing in the bumper is to mount the bracket. There are no holes in the cross bar between the bumper guards.

BTW It would be impossible to hand crank a 42 with the license plate in place, it obstructs the hole through the grille. Probably the same for a 46.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-09-2016 @ 2:07 PM
  Why not use the Classifieds offered by the club? Someone might have one. Some states do not require a front plate and hot rodder's don't use them, you might get lucky.

46coupe    -- 05-14-2016 @ 1:56 PM
  Hello,
First of all, thanks for all the responses. My mistake about the center hole in the bumper which has nothing to do with the crank access. Thanks for the pic of the assembly line with the bracket shown. Looks a lot like the rear brackets I've seen. Anyway I made a bracket, mounted it using the center hole and it works fine. No I have not cranked my engine by hand, but will probably try it when I find a correct crank handle, just to see if it works.
Right now I am checking to see if I can start the engine without using starting fluid, but that is for another post. Ya"ll have a great weekend.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9647