Topic: 46 Ford Heater installation

FLTHDCPE    -- 05-01-2016 @ 9:49 AM
  Can someone tell me the correct installation of the inlet vs. outlet of the hoses to the core. Does it make a difference which one goes where.? My heater connections are across from each other vs staggered or offset.
Thank you for your input.!

Thank You.!
Steve

len47merc    -- 05-01-2016 @ 11:01 AM
  Heater hose from the large bottom passenger side radiator hose connects to the passenger side of the heater core at the firewall. Hose from the driver's side of the heater goes from the heater toward the radiator on top of the motor beside the carb then makes a hard right to the passenger side across the intake manifold in front of the carb and connects to the heater shut-off valve. Hopefully this addresses your question - perhaps have misinterpreted you though (?).

See the attached pic of my very early '47's (basically a '46 that finished assembly in Jan, '47) firewall to see if this matches your orientation. The passenger side hose is visible as well if you look closely. I've never seen a '46-'48 heater with a different inlet/outlet orientation than this, but perhaps they exist. A pic of yours if different from that shown in the attached pic would be helpful. Good luck -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-1-16 @ 11:02 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 05-01-2016 @ 11:04 AM
  Here's what the '41 thru '48 Ford Book offered by the V-8 club has to say. "Through the 1946 model year the location for the heater inlet hose connection was found on the firewall approximately behind and slightly left of the V-8 fuel pump stand". "The heater outlet connection is higher on the firewall and approximately 9" to the right of the inlet connection, and remained there throughout the 1941-1948 period". Hope this is helpful for you.

fla48    -- 05-01-2016 @ 11:58 AM
  This is the setup on my 48. There are two types of hearers. One is fresh air, the
other recirculates air. This is for the recirculating air heater. The top hose connects to the cylinder head outlet, the bottom hose to the bottom radiator hose.

fla48    -- 05-01-2016 @ 11:58 AM
  This is the setup on my 48. There are two types of hearers. One is fresh air, the
other recirculates air. This is for the recirculating air heater. The top hose connects to the cylinder head outlet, the bottom hose to the bottom radiator hose.

len47merc    -- 05-01-2016 @ 12:04 PM
  FLTHDCPE - given woodiewagon46's and my earlier replies, as well as your description of the heater you have, how confident are you your heater is the correct one for your '46? Was it removed from your car or do you know? Or by your description of 'My heater connections are across from each other vs staggered or offset' is your heater similar to fla48's? Post some pics of the front and back of what you have if you can - it may better help us answer your original question. Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-1-16 @ 12:08 PM

FLTHDCPE    -- 05-01-2016 @ 8:03 PM
  Appreciate the reply's and pic's from all. Obliviously a better description along with some pictures would help. Pictures are in the works. This is not the original heater. I was told that it came out of a 46 Ford F-1 pickup, not sure that this makes any difference. Understanding that all heaters were a Dealer installed option, I' am sure that there were several different models as well as configurations of these. This heater was made by the "Eaton" Corp for Ford. I have installed more than one original heater in 40 thru 48 Fords and the question always comes up,"which hose goes where.?"or does it make any difference? That's what started this inquiry. Even my local radiator shop asked the same question.( not familiar with old Fords) ! I have experienced "no heat" in previous installations either due to improper hose routing or an airloc, so I thought I'd put this out there and find out from the experts. I appreciate you sharing this info. that's how we learn to work on these "Ole Fords".

Thank You.!
Steve

woodiewagon46    -- 05-02-2016 @ 8:56 AM
  That changes everything. Your original post did not tell us that the heater was from a F 100 pick up. Can't help with pictures from members original car's and quotes from the V-8 book.

len47merc    -- 05-02-2016 @ 11:41 AM
  I just had that feelin' woodiewagon46, hence why the addl' probing but non-assuming question.

FLTHDCPE - sorry, cannot help you at this point. Perhaps someone with truck experience can steer you in the right direction. Good luck -

Steve

Old Henry    -- 05-02-2016 @ 2:10 PM
  I, for one, can't imagine why it would make any difference which direction the water flows through a heater core. I've run mine both directions and it doesn't make any difference.

cliftford    -- 05-02-2016 @ 8:50 PM
  You can't hurt anything by hooking it up wrong. Try it one way and if it doesn't get hot after purging the air out , try it the other way.

TomO    -- 05-03-2016 @ 6:50 AM
  The correct Ford heater has the input going to the pipe that feeds the bottom of the core and the return come from the top of the core.

The reason for this is the automatic venting of the core to prevent air blocks. See drawing.

I don't have any information on aftermarket heaters.

Tom

len47merc    -- 05-03-2016 @ 9:06 AM
  That's great documentation Tom - thanks for posting. Adding that to my reference library.

In addition to the original question, it seems a more fundamental issue is how to get the non-standard orientation inlet and outlet pipes FLTHDCPE described in his original post through the firewall without modifying the firewall with new holes. Perhaps this is not a concern for him though.

Steve

woodiewagon46    -- 05-03-2016 @ 9:07 AM
  As for which direction of flow thru the heater core means anything would be when the car is being judged. If a judge picked up on the wrong routing of the hose you will loose points. I'm sure Henry's engineers spent a great deal of time engineering out flow direction thru the core. I'm sure someone has the correct answer.

oldasi    -- 05-05-2016 @ 4:10 AM
  Am wanting a better blower motor, anyone know if there is something else available or where might I be able to get a new one

TomO    -- 05-05-2016 @ 7:09 AM
  There are different motors for different years of heaters. The 39 and 40 share the same motor, the 41 - 47 car heaters share the motor.

If your motor is running slow, it can be repaired to run at normal speed. The replacement motors available do not work as good as the original motors.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9623