Topic: carbon build up

jreed    -- 04-25-2016 @ 8:38 PM
  I don't see any discussions on carbon build up in previous forum search.It seems like I'm getting build up on the plugs causing a clicking or soft knocking sound..Also carbon coming from exhaust.. 36 ford flathead.. Any suggestions on trying to clean carbon out or how to prevent it? As always, I appreciate all the help offered.. JR

TomO    -- 04-26-2016 @ 8:03 AM
  You can use Seafoam to clean out the carbon from the pistons. Just add a can to your gas tank for a few fillings.

Plugs should be replaced as there isn't a good method to clean them. Seafoam will do it eventually.

As to the cause of the problem, your carburetor is not working correctly. The most likely cause is the power valve gasket is leaking.

If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, buy a carburetor kit, disassemble the carburetor and clean it, assemble the carburetor according to the kit instructions until you get to replacing the power valve.

Use the gasket with the 3 corner cutout and hand tighten it. Fill the bowl with enough gasoline to cover the power valve and then let it sit overnight. If the gas leaked out, tighten the power valve another 1/6 turn and repeat the test.

If you do not want to tackle the job, you can send it to

Charlie Schwendler
5845 Cole Rd.
Orchard Park, N.Y.
cas5845@yahoo.com

Tom

jreed    -- 04-26-2016 @ 11:01 AM
  Thanks Charlie.. I'll give it a try. I rebuilt the carb a few months ago but didn't pay attention to the power valve gasket. I appreciate your help and advice.. Jim

40 Coupe    -- 04-27-2016 @ 4:40 AM
  The 36 Ford should have a Stromberg 97 carburetor. They do not usually have the same power valve and it's gasket problems as the Ford 94. If you have the 97 you may want to remove the main jets and the power valve to check their size. Also fuel pressure can be a problem with 97 make sure your at about 2 to 2.5 If your looking for 97 parts the Stromberg web site is the place.

ken ct.    -- 04-27-2016 @ 6:31 AM
  I would not use the triangle hole gasket their too soft. Use a nylon or a genni lead gasket on it. MUST be more than hand tight in my opinion. Could also be the type of power valve your using. Some have a parting seam on the gasket surface which must be machined off on a lathe to be smooth surface for the gasket to work.I would also not use a rubber tipped needle assembly nor a rubber accelerator pump. Real troublesome parts in most kits sold today. ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 04-27-2016 @ 6:38 AM
  Also on some 36 intake manifolds their is a approx.3/8" hole inbetween two of the rear studs. This is a direct heat passage to an INCORRECT 94 type carb PV chamber .It will cook your PV in short order. It must be blocked off to run a 94 carb. ken ct.

TomO    -- 04-27-2016 @ 8:19 AM
  I missed the 1936 part when I read the post. 40Coupe's reply is more accurate than mine.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9615