Topic: Aluminum Radiators

johnmyron    -- 04-18-2016 @ 1:15 PM
  My last two restorations (49 & 53), I had the original radiators re-cored as 3 pass or 4 pass. they look very original. Seeing very attractive prices on new aluminum radiators. What is the experience with these? Can they be painted a flat black to look original or does it affect the heat transfer to the air?

ford38v8    -- 04-18-2016 @ 2:46 PM
  I would go with what you know works well, re-coring the original radiator. Aluminum doesn't transfer heat as well as copper/brass, and would perform even less well if painted. Aluminum also oxidizes heavily, which also reduces heat transfer as well as a shorter life than copper/brass. It's your money, but in my opinion, a hobby is not as much fun if you shop for price instead of quality.

Alan

1934 Ford    -- 04-19-2016 @ 6:46 AM
  I agree that original style is better, but the condition of your tanks and supports should dictate what you use. I recently bought a new radiator for my 35 Buick and had it made in copper & steel from Walker Radiators.
I love it, no more running hot even on the steepest mountains. I may do the same with the 34 Ford Fordor too.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 04-20-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  Those cheap aluminum radiators are made in China. They are cheap for a reason. Once you get a hole in a cooling tube they are toast. You cannot repair them properly. They are also a recipe for electrolysis in the cooling system.
Stick with the copper/brass radiator. Either repair the old one with a new core or buy a new one. Check with U.S. Radiator as they have some good prices on new copper/brass radiators.

Drbrown    -- 04-23-2016 @ 10:17 AM
  Before deciding, Google "Copper vs. Aluminum Car Radiators" and scan the wealth of information there.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-23-2016 @ 10:45 AM
  John, I just read somewhere about a severe electrolysis issue with aluminum radiators. Do your homework before buying one. Don't rely on "word of mouth" because all the people that use aluminum radiators will tell you they "they are the best". Ford and all the other companies used copper for years with great success. I have copper radiators in three antique cars with zero problems.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9595