Topic: Remove Steering Box?

Steve S    -- 03-18-2010 @ 1:57 PM
  Is removing the steering box from a '39 pickup as easy as it seems or am I missing something?

- Remove switch at bottom
- Loosen clamp at top
- Remove three mounting bolts

The box now slides down but stops. Is there something holding it that I can't see, or should it slide right off?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-18-2010 @ 5:11 PM
  I take it that you removed the steering wheel, and slid the light switch out the top,
and removed the floor boards, and LS engine pan,
what about the ignition switch wiring,
it also could be sticking between the clutch pedal and brake pedal ?
it should slide down and out past the engine and frame out the bottom,
have somebody help you guide it out,it hard to do by yourself,with out any damage to the column,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

Steve S    -- 03-18-2010 @ 5:55 PM
  Oh. Well... yeah that helps. Apparently I'm going about it all wrong. I was under the assumption that the box itself could be removed without pulling the entire column out of the car. Maybe I'll just leave it in place after all!

When the box slips down off the column and stops, I also noticed that the huge amount of play disappeared from the steering. It must have pulled the two gears together and that's what is stopping it from going further. At least I think I know what needs to be done now. Thanks!

trjford8    -- 03-18-2010 @ 7:50 PM
  Make sure the column is unlocked or the shaft will not pass by the lock pin.

Steve S    -- 03-18-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  Maybe I'll try to make it simple and service the box in place. Can that be done? Just open it up, make sure it's clean, add some oil and be done with it? Or is it advisable to pull it and have the parts crack tested or anything like that?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-19-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  HI
I think maybe you should buy a FORD SERVICE MANUAL,
this might make it easier for you to adjust and add lube to the steering box,
I never have removed just the box and the inner shaft,
I think it could be done but is a bit tricky,
I would just place the box back in with the 3 mounting bolts and the upper clamp,
turn the steering wheel back and forth LEFT to RIGHT, and LOOK at the pitman arm,
how much do you have to move the steering wheel before the pitman arm moves,?
also make sure all the play is not in the drag link,
you can ajust the free play out,do not make it too tight,otherwise it will bind,
you should have 1 inch and maybe just a little more,
if you adjust the steering and it binds,and still has play it it, you have a worn steering box,
lube with CV grease before or similar, and then make ajustments , you do not want to ajust a dry box,
lets hear how you made out,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=959