Topic: 1938 Convertible sedan

3841    -- 04-12-2016 @ 3:38 PM
  I am attempting to determine the number of '38 convertible sedans remaining. Mine has a riveted metal tab on the firewall that states it is body #760 out of 1997 but that must be an after market item. Another source indicates a worldwide production of 2743. Regardless, the latest roster has two 81A-74C's, four 74A,s and 10 74B's. What are 74B bodies as no such designation exists in the vehicle legand? But I included them in my count as they have the 74 designator. Some sources have indicated an attrition rate of 5% per year. Is that reasonable? Is there any source that might be more accurate?

40 Coupe    -- 04-13-2016 @ 5:36 AM
  The body tag was applied to the firewall by the body builder. Ford did not build your convertible body. The body was shipped to a Ford assembly plant and then eventually put on the assembly line to be dropped onto a frame with a serial number (stamped onto the frame) The FORD body style number for all of years of Conv. Sedan production is 740. The tag also list which body in consecutive order, for the model year, yours was. According to the V8 Club there were 2,743 Model 81A-740 produced. The 81A prefix denotes 1938. It would appear your car was the #1997th Convertible Sedan produced in 38 by the body builder (check the body tag for the builders name) You can forget the V8 Clubs ID numbers since they do not always conform to Fords ID numbers. Many body styles were produced in both "Deluxe" and "Standard" versions this is usually why the two A & B, BUT not you vehicle The 38 Convertible Sedan was only produced in the Deluxe form. With the above information and maybe some additional from the car, it is possible to estimate the approximate production date of your car (exact records were destroyed in a fire). It would be nearly impossible to determine exactly how many of your style cars still remain. I can assure
you, yours is not the only one.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 4-13-16 @ 5:42 AM

ford38v8    -- 04-13-2016 @ 2:26 PM
  The body tag on your dash is an aftermarket item as you have guessed. The number 760 on that tag is not your body style.

The body style designation for your car is 81A-74C. This designation is a carryover from the 1936 model year, when there was both a Convertible Sedan 74B and a Convertible Touring Sedan74C. The designation 74A was used for the early Victorias and the late Sport Sedan, never for the Convertible Sedan. All Ford open cars have been designated as DeLuxe models since 1935.

As for the Club's Vehicle Code not always conforming to the actual Ford model code designations, that is true, as the Club represents all Ford Motor products from 1932 through 1953, therefore the Club Code utilizes a composite version of those model year codes represented.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 04-13-2016 @ 3:29 PM
  Why not post a photo of the tag.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9580