Topic: Cranking the car

46coupe    -- 04-11-2016 @ 6:20 PM
  I just got my Mar/Apr issue. Another great one. I read that you can crank Fords and Mercs up to 1948 by hand. Thanks for the pictures. I went out and checked my 46 coupe. YEP there is the hole lined up with the crank which has a slot in it.
The last car I had that you could crank was a 61 MGA. This is great. Can anyone share a picture of the crank that was used on these cars? It might be something I run across in my antiques searching. The membership list was included and I've found some people who share my interest right here in middle Tennessee. This is great.

jwitt    -- 04-12-2016 @ 5:52 PM
  I'd like to know too. Snyder's sells a repro crank for Model As, would that work?

A crank is very useful for setting timing and valves. I personally wouldn't try starting an engine where I couldn't be sure the timing is retarded.

Had a Model T friend get a broken bone in his forearm when the crank dog hung up and spun the crank around fast enough to hit behind the wrist. Very painful, especially since he was working a little ranch and had a cast on for some time.

Not the same as the classic back fire from cranking without retarding the spark.

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

camsaure    -- 04-13-2016 @ 8:55 PM
  A Model A crank would not be long enough to reach through the grill to your crank ratchet. My 39 came with a two piece crank. These are not that hard to find, there are almost always some on Ebay. Some time before the war I believe that Ford only supplied them if the owner requested them. They had a long shank that hade a square taper on one end and the little cross pin on the other. The other part doubled as a lug wrench on one end and the tapered square socket end on the other. They usually can be had for $30 to $40. The V 8 cranks over rather easily and will usually start with one pull. Back when I was a kid in 68 or so I cranked my 39 quite often. I burned out a few generators for some reason when I would drive the car between 85-90 mph. I couldn't always afford another generator or repairs right away (Even though I could buy used gens for $5) so I could get away driving the car for over a week if I didn't use the lights or electric starter. Well I guess I just proved what a dumb kid I was back in the day, but I will admit it was fun.

ken ct.    -- 04-13-2016 @ 9:20 PM
  Ive crank started 2-3 my 36.Works great if alls right with motor.They start usually on the first crank.Just keep your thumb out of the way. ken ct.

drkbp    -- 04-19-2016 @ 5:49 PM
  I have a '14 Ford touring I crank but it didn't come with a starter. I am left handed so it's much safer for me if I hot (ignition switch on) crank it.

I have a '25 Ford touring that came with a starter and I use it even though both Model T's will start by simply turning the ignition key on.

However, I don't have much interest in cranking and banging up my '35 Cabriolet grill since it doesn't have a bend or crack in it in the 42 years I've had it.

ken ct. is spot on, so don't be cranking one of these cars if it isn't set up right and running good. Be careful because you right handers cannot get out of the way of that crank. <grin>

DD931    -- 04-20-2016 @ 8:01 AM
  My '48 F-1 came with a crank (two pieces). It's very useful for various maintenance chores, but I haven't been brave enough to try starting the engine (H-series six). Back in the day I crank started a Model A frequently.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9576