Topic: Turn signal switch

jehn    -- 04-11-2016 @ 11:48 AM
  I guess that many members have the universal turn signal switch from United Pacific. I mean the 7 wired with green indicator bulb and chromed housing(A5007.)
Of course the indicator bulb is flashing when operating. But what happens with the indicator bulb with the control stick at neutral position? Shall the bulb shine with fixed light in that position?

40cpe    -- 04-11-2016 @ 2:46 PM
  The green indicator light is to be connected to the "P" terminal of a 3-prong flasher. It only flashes when the signals or 4-way are operating.

jehn    -- 04-13-2016 @ 5:02 AM
  Yes that´s what I thought.
I have connected exactly as the wiring diagram.
I think the problem must be inside the turn signal switch.

cliftford    -- 04-13-2016 @ 6:13 AM
  I had the same problem with my '48 [6 volt] I found out I had the wrong flasher. I got a #535 flasher and that solved the problrm.

deluxe40    -- 04-14-2016 @ 7:53 PM
  My flasher only had two terminals so I tapped into the two wires running to the front turn indicators and ran them through diodes to the single wire that goes to the green light.

40cpe    -- 04-15-2016 @ 8:08 AM
  I used the diodes, too. Looking back and seeing that I never even look at the flashing light, I would not connect it to anything. I would drive down the road with my signals working and the flashing light didn't get my attention. I installed a buzzer across the flasher terminals and that does the trick.

jwitt    -- 04-15-2016 @ 4:42 PM
  You may have the L and X leads swapped on the flasher. The yellow lead from the turn signal unit goes to the L terminal on the flasher and the Black lead goes to the X terminal.

If you received a turn signal with a separate flasher socket, don't pay any attention to the colors of wires out of the socket. Use the diagram with the turn signal and map those colors to the correct designation on the flasher base, i.e., X to black, L to yellow, P to blue.

My flasher socket came with completely different colors than the schematic showed.

All the indicator lights are normally out when the lever is centered.

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

This message was edited by jwitt on 4-15-16 @ 4:44 PM

jehn    -- 04-17-2016 @ 3:08 AM
  I contacted the supplier of the turn signal switch and he told me to blow the switch arm with air. I did but without any result. I think it must be an electrical leak inside housing which make a short between some wires. The problem is that there is small parts as springs an others inside the housing. I will also try to change the flasher. I want to find the failure and get the indicator lamp to work.

trjford8    -- 04-17-2016 @ 3:03 PM
  Make sure the unit is grounded to the steering column. If not solder a wire to the housing and run it to a ground. If it is not properly grounded that may be your problem.

jehn    -- 04-18-2016 @ 1:44 PM
  The unit is correct grounded so that is not the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9573