Topic: '36 Ford front spring

rogbell    -- 04-09-2016 @ 9:56 AM
  My '36 Ford leans to the left in front. The shocks, shock links, and king pins and bushings have been replaced. I've been told that it is the front spring that is the problem. Can I replace the spring or should I have it re-arched? If it should be replaced where could I find a source? I'm located in Southern California. Thanks.

This message was edited by rogbell on 4-9-16 @ 11:39 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 04-09-2016 @ 10:25 AM
  Add your general location to your profile and your post. Shipping a spring across the county is expensive and you may be close to a good source. It is nice to be able to get something across the counter so you can hand it back if you don't like the way it looks.

Charlie Stephens

rogbell    -- 04-09-2016 @ 11:40 AM
  Thanks Charlie, location added.

trjford8    -- 04-09-2016 @ 5:01 PM
  Check your area for shops that work on big truck suspension. Most also do spring work and can re-arch your spring.

40 Coupe    -- 04-10-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  Check with Richard Lacy at Early V8 Garage 1217 Azusa Canyon Rd. in West Covina 626-338-2282 he may be able to repair the spring or have another or at Early Ford Store in San Dimas 108 W Bonita 909-305-1955.

fenbach    -- 04-10-2016 @ 8:33 PM
  would you want to go to the trouble of reversing the spring to see if the car leans the other way?
my recommendation would be to replace the original style shackles with neoprene bushings. and add an extended bolt to mount strut shocks. if the car isn't all original obviously.

rogbell    -- 04-11-2016 @ 9:23 AM
  Thanks for all the suggestions but, I don't have a way to remove the spring. I need someone who can remove it and re-arc it or replace it.

trjford8    -- 04-11-2016 @ 10:29 AM
  Most spring shops can do it for you. If you are a V-8 Club member check with the regional group in your area and someone may have a spring spreader or know someone who can help you remove the spring. I think you live in Temecula and if you check your roster(if a club member) and call Dan Kreibel who is a very knowledgeable guy.

juergen    -- 04-12-2016 @ 6:32 AM
  My old car used to lean to the left when I got out too. But if I then pushed it to the right it stayed level. My problem was the rust between the spring leaves acted like friction shocks and the car would lean to the side of the last person leaving. I fixed the problem by taking apart the leaves, cleaning out the rust and using slip plate to lubricate the leaves. Don't know if this applies to your situation.

rogbell    -- 04-12-2016 @ 10:54 AM
  Thanks everyone. Know Dan Kreibel well, I'm in the Palomar Mountain club. Haven't talked to him yet but will. The spring was removed, cleaned and lubricated but no change in the leaning. I'm sure I need a new spring but pretty pricey, over $450 plus shipping. Maybe locally can just have it re-arched.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9568