Topic: Adding duals to 1950

rsh1950    -- 04-07-2016 @ 3:00 PM
  I looked at Red's headers and called them. My concern was running into problems around the steering column. They assured me that if my motor mounts were in good shape there would be no problems routing the exhaust system. So that is one option.
My local muffler shop guy is old like me and has worked on older cars ect. Now here is the question. He said that he could put the headers on however, he recommended to use my current manifolds, remove the front crossover pipe. He would then bring both pipes for the front of my current manifolds. Sounds like it would work, but I need some input from you guys. Have any of you seen this method done before?
thanks......rsh1950

carcrazy    -- 04-07-2016 @ 3:16 PM
  My question is what do you want to accomplish by putting dual exhausts on your car? If you just want to have duals because they look and sound cool, then running pipes from the front of your stock manifolds will work. If you want improved exhaust flow then headers are the way to go. The tubular headers are less expensive than cast iron headers. Tubular headers, unless wrapped, will produce more heat and noise in the engine compartment. My vote, if your budget will allow and they fit your application, would be to go with Fenton cast iron headers.

rsh1950    -- 04-07-2016 @ 6:39 PM
  To answer your question. I am going for the nice sound so maybe coming out the front of my manifold would the best option.
rsh1950

Drbrown    -- 04-07-2016 @ 8:28 PM
  I've never had a flattie with tubular or cast headers so I can't say one-way-or-the-other what system gives superior sound (the sound is in the beholder's ear).

In the 1950's I had a dual exhaust conversion kits installed (cross-over removed and plugged) and my current '47 has the same, along with a pair of old Smitty mufflers. To my ear, my system has a really nice tone although for a 78 yr old with a "quiet" wife, the old Smitty's are a bit loud under load. I may change the mufflers to a more mellow type.

Your pick !

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-08-2016 @ 3:55 AM
  Hello...My '51 Coupe has dual exhaust, too. It has tubular headers with Smithy mufflers, which are still manufactured. They are glasspacks, and are very mellow sounding, not excessively loud in my opinion. I don't believe the steelpacks are made anymore. The rest of my system was on the car when I purchased it, so I don't know who did the work, but it fits very well. Probably done by a professional muffler and exhaust shop. BT

len47merc    -- 04-08-2016 @ 5:35 AM
  I can definitely appreciate the desire for a meatier throat and tone from a flathead and have heard several that are quite impressive. The best, 'throatiest' sound and results I've seen and heard to date from a dual system on a (stock) flathead was produced by the Fenton cast iron headers carcrazy referenced with Flowmaster 40's installed. If you want sound - that'll give it to you. The owner also validated from his personal experience what carcrazy said about heat and noise with tubular headers.

Personally am on the other end of the spectrum though - am running the stock exhaust (car came with a full set of NOS pipes upon receipt) and the original muffler, and have a back-up NOS muffler to install in the near future. With all the engine compartment noise at speed a stock flathead generates I prefer to stay stock and not add to the highway db level - my '47 owns the 'quietest car award' from our local club. I've idled down our neighborhood streets directly behind walkers in the middle of the road without them knowing a car was behind them. Car is almost as quiet as a Prius - and is stock! Love it! Just my two cents...

Steve

fordv8j    -- 04-08-2016 @ 6:02 AM
  I HAVE Reds tublar headers and smitty mufflers on our 38 coupe and convertible coupe...they sound great

flathead4rd    -- 04-08-2016 @ 7:28 AM
  Fenton headers and Brockman mufflers.

joe b    -- 04-08-2016 @ 11:05 AM
  I have Red's headers and Smithy mufflers. Absolutely love the sound. I don't think they are too loud at all. Most of the driving is in summer with the windows down anyway. The mufflers have been on the car for 17 years with no problems such as rust out.

trjford8    -- 04-09-2016 @ 6:59 AM
  You can buy a left side cast iron manifold that will route the exhaust out the back. You can get the manifold from Pat Rooney in Ohio. He's listed in the V-8 Club roster. No need for headers with this simple change.

Pat's 52    -- 04-09-2016 @ 12:28 PM
  I reproduce the left side exhaust manifold that the Douglas Foundry made for Ford police cars. Send me an email to info@pfrooney.com. I will send you a picture of it in my 50Crestliner.

Pat Rooney

fenbach    -- 04-10-2016 @ 8:54 PM
  look into porter mellow tone mufflers from mac van pelt in ohio

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_speed-mufflers.htm

he has both glass and steel. i'm using red's headers and mac's glass mellow tones on a '36. sounds nice to me.
maybe have the manifolds coated. I had mine done at

http://finishlinecoatings.com in portland, Oregon

wmsteed    -- 05-03-2016 @ 8:58 AM
  Contrary to the common hype that dual exhausts are associated with, in reality there is very little if any performance benefits
that is derived from them. Headers are intended to be used as open exhaust on race/performance engines. Of course the noise and bragging rights that headers and/or straight through muffles gives to a car can make a person feel pretty cool.
In the mid 1950's I ran a muffler/hot rod shop in Eastern Idaho. I have put dual exhausts on just about every make of car ever produced. A straight eight Packard or Buick really sounds neat with a good split manifold and steel pack mufflers.
The engine in my '36 is a well built 59AB, stock '36 cast iron manifolds, 2" pipes with stock type chambered mufflers. On the idle a performance tone and cam over-lap can be heard, however, the silence is golden when the car is driven, especially on the highway.
I have a brand new set of headers sitting in my garage which I have had for almost sixty years, could never bring myself to put the on the car because of their interference with the steering gears..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Grant    -- 05-04-2016 @ 4:19 AM
  One advantage of a somewhat loud dual exhaust system is that an old guy can actually hear the engine running. A stock exhaust system is too quiet for that, if your hearing has deteriorated like mine.

We had a local custom muffler shop bend pipe and install it at a cost of $500.00 . The section between the muffler outlet and the back bumper is two pieces, joined directly above the rear axle. New old stock vintage Thrush mufflers from a swap meet make an authoritative rumble.

The tubular chrome exhaust extensions aren't factory correct, but neither is the flat black paint job which was intended to duplicate what we drove in high school about a hundred years ago.

More horsepower? I don't think so. Too loud? Definitely not, but is more noticeable on hard acceleration. Lose points when being judged? Sure, but go to a National Meet and participate in a group of vehicles which isn't getting judged.

That Douglas (Douglass?) manifold will work just as well as Red's or Fenton headers set up.

This message was edited by Grant on 5-4-16 @ 4:22 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9560