Topic: 34 headlamps mismatch?

MICHV8    -- 04-02-2016 @ 5:41 PM
  I’ve had a 34 5W for a few years after buying it partially assembled. Today, I found that the horn mounting brackets are different. I’ll attach a couple photos with the passenger side on the left side of the photos. The passenger side horn sits close to the radiator, but the driver side horn sits about 2 ½ to 3 Inches away from the radiator. The horn mounting bolts are different as well…one is coarse thread and much longer than the fine thread bolt. Anyway, I’ve looked in my books and haven’t found any answers. As far as I know 33 & 34 were the same, right?

MICHV8    -- 04-02-2016 @ 5:41 PM
  another

MICHV8    -- 04-02-2016 @ 5:42 PM
  another

MICHV8    -- 04-02-2016 @ 5:42 PM
  last

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 6:43 PM
  im still learning the parts on these old fords myself, but im thinking it could be a possibility ou have 35 or 36 parts as well if they arent matching up.

i cant identify it by the pics to say one way or another. i think the body of the horns were used in the years i listed above were the same but the brackets and the chrome "horn" bezel ends were different.

but yes those horn brackets dont match at all, could have one from a car and one from a pickup or like i said one from a 33 and one from a 35. or someone just put the wrong bracket on there cause they had it laying around and then just tried to bend it "close enough"

This message was edited by grovesmr on 4-2-16 @ 6:55 PM

40 Coupe    -- 04-03-2016 @ 4:39 AM
  The headlight stands appear to be correct. One of the brackets may be correct. The horns mount very close to the grill. The bolt for mounting the bracket is fine thread. Since you have two horns can we assume this is a Deluxe car? The Deluxe used Sparton CL-4 horns and the mechanism internals do not appear like your horns. Look in the club 33-34 restoration book page 7-31 for the bracket and details. You MAY have Standard car mechanisms, they vary from Deluxe.

42merc    -- 04-03-2016 @ 7:33 AM
  The shorter, riveted flexible horn bracket is the correct one for the '33-'34.

MICHV8    -- 04-03-2016 @ 9:21 AM
  Thanks for the help. Just so I don't complicate things further, the horn mounts themselves sit on the fender with the headlamp "towers" leaning slightly backward so that the headlamp bolt chamber has the deeper lip in back, correct? I believe the photos have them flip flopped...

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 4-3-16 @ 9:22 AM

3w2    -- 04-04-2016 @ 12:53 PM
  If you mean flip-flopped in the sense that the one on the left should be on right if you were facing the front of the car, then the answer is yes.

The horn with the clear Sparton letters and black paint on the mechanism is a later service replacement, likely from the late '30s or early '40s. It has correct bracket for '33-'34 passenger cars. The bracket on the other horn is likely from a truck or perhaps from something other than a Ford.

MICHV8    -- 04-05-2016 @ 4:21 AM
  Thanks Dave, everyone...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9544