Topic: shift linkage

JohnA    -- 03-31-2016 @ 2:34 PM
  Hi fellas--when my 48 Ford 2dr comes out of storage next month the first thing I have to do is rebuild the shift linkage right from scratch,question 1.do the shift levers on the coloum have bushings. Question 2 I replaced the rubber grommets two years ago on shifter rods and I see they have fallen out already,should they be pressed in.Question 3 should I pull off levers at tranny and check also,sorry to be so long winded,I"m just happy I can speell.John Canada

40 Coupe    -- 04-01-2016 @ 4:47 AM
  I believe the aftermarket has a repair kit for the linkage with rubber bushings you install with your hand into the linkage holes and two brass inserts for the two sides and the I.D. You use a tool to peen the end of the one brass insert over the other brass end piece and wind up with an exact reproduction of the original. When installed correctly the rubber bushing will not come out. The tool should come with the kit. See Mac's catalog 01A-7354-RK or 32-10355-1 If the tool is not included check with the local V8 club for someone that may have a used tool to borrow.

grovesmr    -- 04-01-2016 @ 11:34 AM
  What 40coupe said I just did this, the kit came with 4 rubber grommets that fit inside the eyes of the shift levers, and 4 sets of 2 piece brass bushings, my kit however did not come with the tool, so if you don't have or want to make a tool to press the bushings together, they fit fine without a press, but I think you want to roll the sleeve over the washer like a rivit. If none of that made sense I can make s video. Just make sure your kit comes with the tool if you need it

JohnA    -- 04-01-2016 @ 2:51 PM
  Gotcha on the shift rods, but about the shift levers on coloum,mine are quite wornin out.do they have bushings or can you get new ones. Thks guys

grovesmr    -- 04-01-2016 @ 3:47 PM
  The kit we are talking about, its 12 pieces, 4 rubber bushings/grommets. They will fill up the inch or so holes in both shifter rods and both levers that come off the column. Each of these will then have a brass bushing that squeezes into the larger rubber part giving a tight fit. There will also be 4 brass washers that get pressed on the other side of the brass inserts. I'll make a short video and post a link when I get home from the shop

JohnA    -- 04-01-2016 @ 4:05 PM
  Thank you.

grovesmr    -- 04-01-2016 @ 4:39 PM
  short video showing the parts that come in the kit and where they go, its uploading now so it may take a few minutes or more until its done processing

https://youtu.be/kAlP4ThsaGI

JohnA    -- 04-02-2016 @ 7:07 AM
  Thanks grovemr. for video,very helpful,when you said you had already rebuilt levers on column,how did you rebuild,I have"t taken mine apart yet so not sure what I will find,can I replace with new levers or is their a bushing I can replace on lever.Tks JOhn

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 11:13 AM
  I'll have to dig through pics and videos when I get home from the shop tonight. Mine was really stubborn from old dirty grease that had hardened. Pics would help explain I'm sure... But I'll try my best.

The column at the levers has a pin that goes through it. In the neutral position as you pull up or down on the shifter the pin should slide into the slot for the upper or lower lever. In my case it was really too much effort to move when I pulled it apart is was like I said just filled up with hardened old grease I took care to lay out each piece as I disassembled, I sandblasted the exterior surface in my cabinet, an used solvents to clean the interior mechanisms. Once reassembled it moves freely.

Not sure what state your car is in but I was doing a full teardown, if you car is complete it may be tricky to pull the shifter column out.

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 11:41 AM
  Reread your question on the levers, so I'll try to clarify about them some more, the levers themselves, are cast and machined pieces inside there are no bushings, there is a relief cut in either one to accept a pin that goes through the column shaft. It's possible your levers and pin are really worn if you have slop in your shifter(obviously it seems your first problem is bushing on the rod and lever ends due to your earlier post) but if your levers are sticky it may like in my case be build up of gunk inside. Its not a well sealed unit so it just may need a thorough cleaning

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 12:02 PM
  Shifter column disassembled

JohnA    -- 04-05-2016 @ 4:49 PM
  Thanks,great shot of parts.That gives me better idea of what to expect.Thanks again.John

supereal    -- 04-05-2016 @ 5:35 PM
  The shift levers on the column are usually worn, causing sloppy shifting. The shift tube must come apart and the pin and slot cleaned and repaired. If badly worn, replacing is a better bet. The pins that hold the levers to the transmission should also be checked for fit on the shaft. We prefer to use bolts instead of the pin to hold the levers on the shafts. Replace the small seals in the side plate while you are at it. They are fragile. We place paper over the shafts to protect the seals as we push them into place, then remove the paper. Finally, check the joint at the base of the shift lever. Parts are available to take the slop out of that. You should enjoy positive shifting.

JohnA    -- 04-07-2016 @ 6:19 PM
  Mac"s sell them,any other suggestion.

grovesmr    -- 04-10-2016 @ 4:54 PM
  vanpelt's here in ohio should have anything you need for the transmission. he also specializes in rebuilding them so while macs is nice and easy to order from a webpage if you know exactly what you need, you may or may not get someone that knows what youre looking for when you call them. vanpelts however i dont know how many people he has working for him cause sometimes i have have to leave a message and wait an hour or two for a return call (he was probably out for lunch and i can respect that) he was definitely knowledgeable and should get you what you need, think he has a 10 dollar min order so keep that in mind

JohnA    -- 04-11-2016 @ 11:33 AM
  tHANKS,MAY TRY HIM.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9532