Topic: Stuck fill plug

jwitt    -- 03-30-2016 @ 2:37 PM
  As I generally do, I'm in the process of changing all the lubricants in my (new to me) 36 Phaeton. All went fairly well until I got to the diff, and I couldn't get the fill plug to budge. I stopped trying at the point of rounding out the square hole. Fortunately, the drain plug was easy, but I haven't removed it yet. so ut this point, no disaster, but that fill plug needs to come out eventually. The transmission fill plug was extremely tight too, but I was ably to finally budge it.

So anyone have suggestions for extracting the diff plug? My next thought was to dig out the propane torch and see about heating it up for a couple cycles and try again. The proximity to the fuel tank bothers my some, through.

The plug is not apparently rusty, just put in place by Jack Armstrong, I think.

Thanks,

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

MG    -- 03-30-2016 @ 3:21 PM
  What tool are you using to unscrew the plug? I've had success using a 3/8" ratchet (no socket) with an extension handle on it....

shogun1940    -- 03-30-2016 @ 4:31 PM
  Try an impact wrench with a short extension. It will take o2/acetylene to heat it up if the impact driver does not work.

40 Coupe    -- 03-31-2016 @ 4:40 AM
  In the tool kit for your car may be the Ford original adjustable wrench. The back of the handle may have the square tang that fits the plugs. There are some aftermarket plugs that use a 3/8 ratchet but not the original Ford plugs.

jwitt    -- 04-07-2016 @ 8:38 AM
  After a few days and squirts of Liquid Wrench, the impact wrench did the job (100 psi). The impact wrench took about 15-20 seconds of pounding before the plug started to turn, but then spun right out.

Glad to get the oil changed, though it didn't look too bad, for which I'm grateful.

Thanks for the suggestions,

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

fortyford    -- 04-07-2016 @ 3:02 PM
  i presume you did not put that plug back in?Macs Auto has replacements and you can get one that is magnetized for the drain plug.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9530