Topic: well h*llo evryone

jhodder    -- 03-27-2016 @ 6:19 AM
  currently building a 36 model 68 slantback in need of info on the steering gear rebuild and adjust teck and also need the rear seat hinge /mount brackets as the car is close to going to the apolstry shop

wmsteed    -- 04-01-2016 @ 7:30 AM
  Welcome to the wonderful,frustrating world of the Early Ford V8..
In regards to your two questions, steering gears and rear seat hinges:
If you are attempting to build a show car I can't offer much help with the actual rebuilding of the steering gears, however, if you want a good driving car I would suggest that you up-grade the steering gear setup to '37-40. The '37-50 steering gear box/gears is a very simple conversion that will make the car drive like it has power steering compared to the '36 worm/sector type of steering.
I converted my '36 to '40 steering in 1955..
On the back seat hinges.. Not to sure about just how they work, I would assume that they are the same as a 5 window coupe, that being the case the seat frame is hinged at the top, lifting up out of the way.
I can send you a pix of the seat hinges on my '36, they are pretty simple, similar to everyday household door hinges..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

1934 Ford    -- 04-01-2016 @ 7:52 AM
  I too put a 47 Mercury steering in our 35 Pickup. It's like power steering compared to our 34 Fordor. The shaft was a little to long and had to be shortened, but with the 35 steering wheel on it you'd never know.
I'd do it on the 34 too, if I had a good 40's column

1934 Ford's since 1972

wmsteed    -- 04-02-2016 @ 8:27 AM
  As I recall the earlier steering columns will fit the '37-40 steering gears/shaft.
I used a '40 column in my '36 because I have a column shift trans in the car..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

jhodder    -- 04-03-2016 @ 4:03 PM
  Thanks for the info rebuilt the steering gear with early v8 kit and going to try to build rear seat hinges the slantback seat to!ts forward to access the storage area behind the seat the body has holes on each side I think I can figure out how to build a set but it would be nice to have a picture and dementions

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9521