Topic: Leaf Spring Lubricant

choupie    -- 03-26-2016 @ 11:55 AM
  I took apart and re-painted the leaf springs from a 1934 coupe a few years ago, and am planning on finally getting back to re-assembly. Any suggestions on a lubricant to apply before stacking them up to minimize squeaking later?

kubes40    -- 03-26-2016 @ 12:28 PM
  Skid plate grease. Some call it "fifth wheel grease". I'd use it sparingly as it will attract dust / dirt and thereby negate the lubricating effect of the grease.
Kind of a "catch 22".
If originality is not important to you, you may want to consider thin sheet of Teflon.

trjford8    -- 03-27-2016 @ 7:29 AM
  I've used the "lipped" Teflon liner on my springs. Be aware that the Teflon will make your spring a little taller, so your stock center bolt may not be long enough. I usually eliminate the short leaf at the top to compensate or you can purchase a longer center bolt at most automotive parts stores.
As a side note I also "chamfer" slightly the ends of the leafs(bottom side), so they don't dig into the Teflon.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-27-16 @ 7:31 AM

Carbonarc    -- 03-27-2016 @ 7:44 AM
  What type teflon sheets do you recommend?

trjford8    -- 03-27-2016 @ 10:06 AM
  I use the type sold by most of the streetrod shops.Check with companies like TCI or Yogi's, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc. They all sell it. Your Ford should use the 1 3/4" wide type.

1934 Ford    -- 03-27-2016 @ 5:37 PM
  We took the 34 for a little 165 mile trip yesterday and noticed that both front & rear springs developed an arthritic squeak over the winter. Any easy remedies?

1934 Ford's since 1972

Old Henry    -- 03-27-2016 @ 7:29 PM
  Here's the liner for sale at C&G in three widths: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat.php?searchtype=Search&x=x&year_choice=34&searchtextdesc=spring+liner&searchnumber=43000 I put it on my 47 and never squeaks after 88,000 miles.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-28-2016 @ 10:18 AM
  I use a product called Never Seize, the silver compound that you put on nuts and bolts to prevent galling and allow easy removal in harsh conditions. I think it works great and it allows each lief to slide with minimum resistance. It's really only the ends that slide over each other, the closer you get to the center the spring moves very little.

lawrie    -- 03-30-2016 @ 3:02 AM
  On both my 33 and 34 I took the springs apart,cleaned them ,took the sharp edges and burs off them,them reassembled them with grease and graphite powder between each leaf,then wrapped them in DENSO tape,no dirt or road dust gets in and no grease leaks out.
look up denso tape.
Lawrie

supereal    -- 04-05-2016 @ 5:44 PM
  I agree with Tom regarding Teflon liners, but you will have to modify the clips to accomodate the extra width. We use a compound called "Slip Plate", available at farm stores. It is a black liquid used to aid grain machinery, with a graphite base. It will prevent squeaks, and not collect grease and dirt. Be sure to grind any wear pockets on the spring leaf ends before reassembly

supereal    -- 04-05-2016 @ 8:27 PM
  I agree with Tom regarding Teflon liners, but you will have to modify the clips to accomodate the extra width. We use a compound called "Slip Plate", available at farm stores. It is a black liquid used to aid grain machinery, with a graphite base. It will prevent squeaks, and not collect grease and dirt. Be sure to grind any wear pockets on the spring leaf ends before reassembly

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9517