Topic: flathead after 50 years first start

MICHV8    -- 03-25-2016 @ 5:38 PM
  I have a 36 flathead that has been sitting for almost 50 years. I spent a few days doing a cylinder soaking (used 50/50 Marvel Mystery Oil and regular engine oil). I turned it by hand first day, then on starter with open plugs the next. Today, it turns with plugs in at a decent rate. But no spark. I thought it might be the column tube starter switch which didn’t have a good ‘click” to it, so I removed the coil(red) and battery (yellow) wires from their posts. I fully expected to see a quick ‘spark’ when I touched them together, but nothing. Seems wrong, right?

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 3-26-16 @ 4:07 AM

TomO    -- 03-26-2016 @ 6:58 AM
  MichV8,

Touching the 2 wires together may produce a spark if the points are closed.

Use a test light or voltmeter to determine if you have voltage at the yellow wire.

Tom

cliftford    -- 03-26-2016 @ 7:02 AM
  Time is not kind to these old cars. After sitting this long beside ignition problems, you may find a plugged fuel tank and lines, bad fuel pump, caburetor problems, etc, etc. Then there may be mouse chewed wires, and on and on.If you need help, get someone to help who has experience on these old fords. These things are often difficult if not impossible to diagnose on line.

MICHV8    -- 03-28-2016 @ 5:14 AM
  Column on/off toggle test good.
The car has the diver helmet distributor...is there a DIY way to test the coil or condenser?

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 3-28-16 @ 5:15 AM

cliftford    -- 03-28-2016 @ 5:49 AM
  Assuming you have current to the coil, pull a plug wire, hold it 1/8 " from the block and crank the engine if no spark, pull the distributor and completely check everything.

MICHV8    -- 03-28-2016 @ 6:22 AM
  no spark...looking for a way to test condenser and coil

TomO    -- 03-28-2016 @ 8:06 AM
  Check to see if you have voltage to the coil and that the points open and close. You can use your ohm meter connected between the coil contact and ground to see if the point are OK electrically. You should see continuity and open as you turn the engine over. You should also see the voltage at the input to the coil vary between about 6 volts to about 4 volts.

The condenser can be checked for a short with an ohm meter and many multi-meters also have a capacitor test. The condenser should read around 2 micro farads.

The coil will need to be tested with a coil tester. Resistance readings are unreliable as to the condition of a coil.

Tom

MICHV8    -- 03-29-2016 @ 5:02 AM
  Tom()
Thanks...that's what I was looking for.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9514