Topic: "51 Ford wiper problem

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-24-2016 @ 7:34 AM
  Hello....My '51 Ford has vacuum wipers that stop when even a little bit of throttle is applied. Are there any easy solutions or fixes for this? Or just stay home on rainy days? Is an aux. 6V vacuum pump the solution? Does anyone manufacture an electric replacement 6-volt motor? BT

carcrazy    -- 03-24-2016 @ 10:07 AM
  There are a couple of things you can do to increase the efficiency of the vacuum windshield wipers: You can install a dual action mechanical fuel pump in place of the standard pump on the engine, this pump contains a vacuum pump which you plumb into the vacuum hose which runs between the intake manifold and the windshield wiper unit. Or you can install a vacuum reservoir tank to provide vacuum during brief accelerations. You will need to install a one-way vacuum check valve in the line between the intake manifold and the reservoir.

Model B    -- 03-25-2016 @ 5:31 AM
  BT...My wipers on the '50 Sedan worked great when I put it to sleep for the winter in 2014 and in the spring they worked very slow. Got to the point of stopping straight up on the windshield and wouldn't return until I turn the wiper switch to the "off" position. I squirted a couple shots of Marvel Mystery oil into the vacuum line from the carb to the wiper motor and now they work great! I guess the "flapper" got a little brittle. Pat

TomO    -- 03-25-2016 @ 6:55 AM
  You can try these things and if it doesn't improve the wiper response, send your motor to:

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319

Lubricate the linkage with motor oil.

Lubricate the motor by letting the motor suck oil into it and then drive the car with the wipers turned on but without the blades, to distribute the oil and exercise the motor. Put the blades on when it rains or the motor is working good. Repeat this every Spring.

Tom

MG    -- 03-25-2016 @ 10:45 AM
  Tom O,

You said: "Lubricate the motor (vacuum motor?) by letting the motor suck oil into it". I didn't know that the motor 'sucked'. I always thought that the wiper blade motor was being sucked by the vacuum line attached to it. So how can the lubricating oil be sucked into the vacuum motor?

MG

TomO    -- 03-26-2016 @ 7:43 AM
  If you disconnect the vacuum hose at the motor and operate the motor by hand, you will notice that in one direction the motor will suck air and in the other direction, it will expel air.

I should have mentioned that for this method to to work the motor should be removed, as it will not suck the oil very far.

Tom

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-06-2016 @ 1:50 PM
  Hello again...Having performed an extremely scientific inspection of the vacuum system on my '51, I've discovered that it has a single stage fuel pump, and draws it's vacuum from the manifold. So....does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might purchase a quality new double action fuel pump at a reasonable price, and also the method and materials necessary to install it, if any. Thanks to all who posted....BT

ken ct.    -- 04-06-2016 @ 2:10 PM
  Try Hal Houghton in NY. He has the best available , double action pumps are not he cheapest and he rebuilds the best. 1-518-366-8405

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-08-2016 @ 11:37 AM
  Hello....A message at this number says " the person you are tryimg to reach is not accepting calls at this time. Please try your call later'! I've never heard that message before. So....does anyone have any other suggestions for purchasing a new double-action fuel pump for my '51 Ford???? BT

carcrazy    -- 04-08-2016 @ 3:28 PM
  MAC's Auto Parts has them. They list them as part number B2A-9350-B for $105.29 in their latest catalog. You can call them at 1-877-283-6920.

TomO    -- 04-09-2016 @ 7:14 AM
  Rockauto has pumps from 2 vendors, with 2 prices. Take your choice.

Be aware that the pump may not solve your problem. Your description of the problem, leads me to believe that you have some other issues with your wipers.

Tom

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-09-2016 @ 12:01 PM
  Hi Tom...I don't know why you would say that. The wipers seem to me to operate normally as long as I'm not accelerating the car. But upon using the throttle to some degree, the wipers stop until the throttle is released to idle again. Just seems like not enough vacuum to me. Just a more constant creation of vacuum in the motor should allow it to more consistently operate the wipers, I should think. No???? BT

TomO    -- 04-10-2016 @ 8:12 AM
  There should be enough engine vacuum to operate the wipers under partial throttle conditions unless your engine is worn out, you have a radical cam or there is something wrong with the wipers.

My wipers will stall under wide open throttle, but start working as the engine load decreases. At idle they move so fast across the windshield, that I sometime wonder if the blades will go flying.

Tom

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-10-2016 @ 10:00 AM
  Thanks Tom...I do have a vacuum gauge, so I intend to see if the readings are the same at the manifold outlet and at the end of the tube where it hooks up to the wiper motor. Also see if there are any problems with the line itself. Maybe the problem is with the wiper motor instead of replacing the fuel pump. The engine is stock as far as I know, without mods, and certainly seems to run fine rather than being worn out. I don't know if it is the same engine that was built originally in the car, but at least it's painted bronze (smile)! BT

TomO    -- 04-11-2016 @ 6:52 AM
  Try these suggestions :

Remove the wiper motor and lubricate it and all of the linkage pivots with a light motor oil. Make sure that you lube the shaft that the arms mount on.

Drive your car without the wiper arms and the wipers turned on. I like to do it until I hear the wiper motor running very fast and responding as I put pressure on the accelerator pedal.

I try to remember to do this every Spring before I get caught in a shower.

If this doesn't improve your wiper action, send the motor to Kent for rebuilding and check your linkage for sloppy pivots.

The dual action pump will help more when your wiper system is in good condition. My Lincoln has the dual pump and the wipers would stop under normal acceleration until I lubed every thing.

Tom

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-15-2016 @ 2:39 PM
  Hello....With the motor warmed up at idle, vacuum reading at the manifold reads 18 inches on my gauge. At the end of the hose at the wiper motor, the reading is the same. On my gauge this is "the lower end of normal". Any comments? BT

TomO    -- 04-16-2016 @ 7:21 AM
  The vacuum reading is in the normal range and your wipers should work fine.

To make sure that you have the highest possible reading at idle, set the idle to 450 rpm and adjust both idle mixture screws in 1/8 of a turn as you watch your vacuum gauge. If the vacuum goes up, turn them in another 1/8 of a turn and repeat the procedure until the vacuum drops, then back off for the highest reading.

If the vacuum drops at the first turn of the screws, start turning them out using this procedure until the highest reading is found.

Make sure that you turn both screws the same amount.

Tom

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-19-2016 @ 6:27 PM
  Just to make sure that the low end reading isn't the fault of the timing off, I checked the timing using a 12 V battery for powering the light, and found the timing to be right on the mark, eliminating that possibility. I think I'll have my nephew mechanic pull the wiper motor ( he's a lot more flexible than me), and we'll lube it and the linkage and see how that goes. BT

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-27-2016 @ 3:24 AM
  Hi...Pulled the wiper motor...it's very dirty, and the tube where the vacuum hose connects is loose and came out. A little epoxy fixed that. After a cleanup, I'll test it to see how it works out of the car. The actuator valve also seems a bit loose. The motor is a Trico. Did Ford use Trico motors as OEM ?? BT

trjford8    -- 04-27-2016 @ 7:07 AM
  Ford did use Trico wipers. At this point if lubing the motor does not work you will probably have to have the motor rebuilt. If it needs rebuilding send it to Kent Jaquith, in Redmond , Oregon. He can be reached at #541-923-4319 or #541-350-7426. He's rebuilt several motors for me and he's a long time V-8 Club member.

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-29-2016 @ 10:08 AM
  Latest update....I've cleaned up the wiper motor, and noticed that "FORD" is also stamped on the Trico motor. I have attached a long piece of hose to both the manifold and wiper motor. Then operated it with the engine running. It seems to me to operate just fine at idle and with throttle accelerated. The control also can regulate the speed of the wiper motor movement as it should. I've also lubed the two attachment points of the motor linkage to get them freely moving. I'll have my mech lube the rest of the linkage before re-installing the motor. I'll also replace the older piece of vacuum hose. And I'll allow the motor to lube itself internally with some lightweight oil while running. Further updates to follow. BT

42oink    -- 05-01-2016 @ 1:17 PM
  Greetings gang and here's my fwiw comment. When I got my 37 Ford cabriolet, it had a fairly good size tank attached to the firewall up top that at first I couldn't tell for what. Upon following three hoses, I found that when the engine was started, vacuum would build up in the tank, and when the wipers were used, this tank would supply a steady source for the vacuum motor. It actually worked pretty well, but it was the first thing that came off! It's in my attic if you want it!!! Besides, you CAN drive a Ford in the rain... you just can't see for ----. 42OINK OUT.

BUCKAWHO    -- 05-06-2016 @ 3:48 AM
  Hi....Well, my efforts to improve the working of the wiper motor have had no success. It appears that the motor needs work beyond my capabilities, so I have contacted Kent, and will ship the motor to him for rebuilding. Kent has had an operation on his hand, and says the work will be done by his niece, who has experience doing this. He's fun to talk to on the phone, and believes the rebuild will solve the wiper problems. The price is affordable, and I'm looking forward to the results. BT

BUCKAWHO    -- 05-21-2016 @ 1:49 PM
  Well Friends, I think my wiper problem is finally fixed. After a rebuild by Kent Jaquith over in Oregon, and reinstallation by me, the wiper blades finally go back and forth over the glass, made easier by a spray of water. The speed is regulated by a twist of the control knob from slow to very fast. So, even though I don't plan to have the coupe out on rainy days, I can be assured of operating wipers should I get caught in a seasonal thunderstorm. Thanks for all the help and advice from the forum members...I sure needed it. Bob Tice

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9508