Topic: 41-48 inside handle remote spring

jehn    -- 03-24-2016 @ 1:43 AM
  It seems to be very difficult to bring a new spring in to its right position.There must be a trick I don´t know. I hope that anybody else know how to do.

This message was edited by jehn on 3-24-16 @ 1:47 AM

kubes40    -- 03-24-2016 @ 6:00 AM
  John, You need to disassemble this. Then, it's a simple task to replace the spring.

Mike Kubarth

jehn    -- 03-24-2016 @ 7:58 AM
  The pic shows drivers side but the problem is passengers side. The old spring is gone and I can´t bring the new one in to its right position.
The problem is to get the short end of the spring in to that slot.

kubes40    -- 03-24-2016 @ 8:52 AM
  John, Is the remote assembly disassembled? If so, you should have little trouble IF you have the correct spring. I just did a pair of there quite recently and it went smooth and quickly.
However, the springs advertised by one of the usual suppliers were incorrect.
I'd suggest placing the spring in the slot first and then placing the shaft sub-assembly in place second. Pry the spring up in to the proper position on the pawl.

jehn    -- 03-24-2016 @ 9:36 AM
  Do you mean that some springs where badly fabricated? After trying and trying to put the short end of the spring in to the slot I have been thinking about that.
I have tried many times with the pawl in different positions but it does not work.

kubes40    -- 03-25-2016 @ 11:31 AM
  John,
At this point I am not certain what advice I may offer. Other than to be certain you have the correct spring. Can you possibly match it to the opposite side?
I don't think the repops were necessarily made poorly. rather, I think they are often sold (application) incorrectly.
replacing these truly is a fairly simple task. the fact you are having so much trouble lends me to believe something is amiss.

jehn    -- 03-26-2016 @ 11:22 PM
  Yes, I think I must talk to my dealer and tell him the problem. Thanks for your engagement in this.

This message was edited by jehn on 3-26-16 @ 11:26 PM

jehn    -- 03-30-2016 @ 1:10 PM
  My dealer says that the assembly has to be taken apart in order to install the spring like you did Kube 40.
To do that I have to straiten out the four tabs on the backside of the plate.
I am a litle bit warried for those tabs and afraid to brooke them when bending.
I apologize I didn´t understood what you meaned by disassemble but now I do.

This message was edited by jehn on 3-31-16 @ 1:47 AM

40 Coupe    -- 03-31-2016 @ 5:01 AM
  Try to get just a couple of the tabs on the rear of the plate straightened out and see if you can get the new spring installed. If the tabs do brake off the cage, holding the spring, can be welded back in place with a few tack welds. Most times you will have good luck. Take a small chisel get it under the tab to start the tab to move then use plyers to straighten.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-31-16 @ 5:02 AM

jehn    -- 03-31-2016 @ 6:18 AM
  Thanks for that advise 40 Coupe.

This message was edited by jehn on 3-31-16 @ 6:19 AM

kubes40    -- 03-31-2016 @ 8:33 AM
  Oh John, I thought by now you had taken that mechanism apart. It MUST be taken apart to replace the spring.
I heat those tabs up red hot and bend them "straight" while still hot. IF you break one or more, you can weld the assembly together. Just be certain not to heat that new spring up.

Mike Kubarth

jehn    -- 04-03-2016 @ 11:33 PM
  I want to tell it was very easy to change the spring when I got the right know how. It was not even any problems with the tabs. This forum is a wonderful place to get knowledge
Thanks for all advises..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9506