Topic: Trans shifter tower indent

jreed    -- 03-20-2016 @ 8:31 PM
  Hi all.. I was able to purchase a Trans shifter tower indent plunger for my 36 to see if it would help 2nd gear from popping out. My question in... do I have to drop the tyranny to get to the plunger? Thanks..Jim

nelsb01    -- 03-20-2016 @ 9:32 PM
  My experience with trans that jump out of second gear have been caused by a worn thrust washer in the trans. The only way that I know of correcting that, is to drop the trans and replace the thrust washer.

ford38v8    -- 03-20-2016 @ 11:04 PM
  I believe you mean a Detent, not Indent? Ask Mac Van Pelt, I think he has a How-To on this subject. I'm not sure if it can be installed on your tower, I seem to recall that it is an additional Detent for a later tower.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 03-21-2016 @ 8:04 AM
  As nelsb01 said above, too much end play for the intermediate gear! The indent plungers can be replaced with the transmission in place by removing the shift top and shift lever. Then the screw on the side of the shift top has to be removed and one of the forks has to be made loose on it's rail and one of the end caps on the shift top can be removed. Then the shift rail can be moved out of the way and the old indent plungers and spring can be removed from between the two shift rails. Lube up the new plungers & spring and place them in position and reinstall the one shift rail and it's fork along with the end cap. To fix the gear end play and eliminate the jumping out of gear the entire transmission has to be removed and disassembled.

jreed    -- 03-21-2016 @ 3:59 PM
  Thanks.. I did mean detent..Sorry. At any rate, I appreciate the replies. Think I'll have the trans pulled and gone through. I need a new clutch anyway. Good time to fix two problems at the same time..

363window    -- 03-22-2016 @ 7:52 PM
  Before you remove the transmission - examine the end of the shift lever on the top load transmission (36 ford) - If it is not completely round it can jump out of 2nd gear under load (as in coming to a stop sign). I built up the sides by tig welding and filed down the weld to form a round ball on end of shift lever BINGO - problem solved.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9499