Topic: brake lines

tsoza86    -- 03-16-2010 @ 12:23 PM
  I was wondering where to find the brake lines from the mastercylinder it seems mine have sprung a leak and the pedal goes to the floor sometimes so shes waiting to be fixed and start crusin. Thanks for the help oh its a 50 crestliner

supereal    -- 03-16-2010 @ 1:40 PM
  Replacement brake lines are available from sources such as NAPA, and come in various lengths. Brake lines must be of steel, and have double flares on the ends. This requires a special tool. Most competent shops that do brake work can make up a line, as well. You will have to bleed the brake system after installation. Be sure that the line is, in fact, the cause of your problem. A sinking brake pedal can also be caused by a faulty master or wheel cylinder. If you don't see a pool of brake fluid, the line may not be the cause. This time of year we see lots of leaking brake lines at our shop, particularly on trucks, where they are exposed to the salt, etc, on the roads, which eats holes in them.

tsoza86    -- 03-16-2010 @ 8:25 PM
  I can see where its spraying from which is in front of the master cylinder about a foot. I had someone press them while I crawled underneath to look. Also are there any real advantages of the stainless steel lines and are they worth it to do. Thanks for the help

supereal    -- 03-17-2010 @ 5:53 AM
  I wouldn't spend the extra money on stainless lines, as the life span of the standard type is sufficient unless the vehicle is operated in wet/salty environments. We do opt for stainless steel exhaust parts, as they will last almost indefinitely in our lightly driven vehicles. That is an odd place for a leak. Be sure that the line doesn't rub against anything. Most have a coil configuration between the master and the frame to compensate for body/frame flexing, and should be secured along the frame.

tsoza86    -- 03-17-2010 @ 9:20 PM
  It looks like a spring from around the master cylinder was rubbing it every time the spring moved. Does this sound like a normal spot for either one or was this done some way else? Thanks for the help

Steve S    -- 03-17-2010 @ 10:57 PM
  You can also make your own if necessary. I fabricated a full set of new lines for an MG TC last year. The lines are from cupro, double flared with a Craftsman flaring tool. The nuts were custom machined from stainless. The entire project including protective coil was around $120 and took care of the entire car. Photo of an original line and the new replacement line are attached...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=949