Topic: Battery Disconnect Switch

len47merc    -- 03-14-2016 @ 6:30 PM
  Well, after thinking I'd never go this route due to all the complaints and poor performance ratings about their use, my son surprised me a Wirthco Battery Doctor disconnect switch (p/n 20138) as a gift to try. Decided why not, given its much higher performance rating (250 amps continuous, 750 amps surge - most all others are half or less) over the alternatives, its ease of use and most importantly how could I refuse my son's gift(?). While I wasn't enthusiastic about this unnatural and non-original clutter under the hood I have to admit it is a sweet addition for day-to-day use and is easily removed for the more appreciative shows and judging. No longer have to keep a 1/2" wrench at the ready and is so much easier and quicker to use than the NASCAR style red key switch and twist/unscrew Marinco and green knob switches. Also does not require any holes or special mounting effort. Neighbor uses a Marinco under his hood that gets a bit warm on his 6V system while this one stays cool even with most all electricals turned on even on a warm afternoon/evening after long runs. Yes, still have to go under the hood and cannot disconnect from the interior but have gone the wrench route for so long this is a non-issue and as well trying to stay as original as possible (i.e., no additional holes/wire/etc.). Aesthetically more in tune with the Rouge engine compartment than the others which should improve further with aging patina.

Just some food for thought for any of you considering. Can't say I'm a full convert yet but the looks and functionality are growing on me, again for day-to-day use only. Any thoughts, experiences and/or hidden gotchas I may not be aware of are well-appreciated - got to be something I'm missing here as has surprised me with its overall ease and simplicity.

Thanks -

Steve

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-15-2016 @ 4:40 AM
  Hello....I use three of the "green knob" Balkamp type on my cars. Have had no problems, or dead batteries. BT

trjford8    -- 03-15-2016 @ 7:20 AM
  Steve, is this the knife switch style?

TomO    -- 03-15-2016 @ 7:48 AM
  Yes, it is the knife switch type.

My concern is that the switch is designed to go on the NEG post of the battery, and I have been taught to disconnect the grounded side of the battery first. This is a safety consideration. When the NEG side of a positive grounded battery is disconnected and the grounded cable is still connected, any metal that touched the NEG battery terminal will still cause a short.

Tom

len47merc    -- 03-15-2016 @ 7:49 AM
  trford8 - yes, it is a 'knife-blade' disconnect switch. Here is a link to the webpage. Again, the model p/n my son gave me I am speaking to is the 20138:

http://www.wirthco.com/battery-disconnect-battery-switches-knife-blade-battery-switches-c-7_132_199-l-en.html

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-15-16 @ 7:52 AM

len47merc    -- 03-15-2016 @ 7:52 AM
  Very good point Tom I had not considered. Am sure there are likely additional/other safety/performance considerations as well.

Son was tired of looking for the 1/2" wrench I always placed on the shelf beside the passenger side of the car in the garage to disconnect the battery, hence his 'gift'.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9482