Topic: Condensers - Radio Static

len47merc    -- 03-14-2016 @ 5:53 PM
  Have 3 original (very likely vintage Dec '46 based on the mfg date stamp on the radio) Ford script condensers (of course excluding the one on the distributor) on the 59AB all for minimizing AM radio static - one each on the coil (part is labeled both 22-1326C and 21A18801), voltage regulator (22-1148 & 11A18832) and lastly the circuit breaker (also 22-1148 and 11A18832). As they are all Ford script and the numbers match the Adjust-O-Matic Owner's Manual they are all likely the originals - have not confirmed their functionality yet as their correct/intended values are unknown, but the condenser on the coil does have an ~1/8" hole in the case in the 'F' & 'o' of 'Ford' so it is assumed it is shot (does not look like impact damage, more like mfg defect or melting - ?). Do any of these three hold a higher place in static reduction? Do all of these combined actually make adequate enough difference that replacing any that may be non-functional worthwhile to replace?

Does anyone know the value of either for validation testing? The 22-1148/11A18832 is also labelled 102 640 but I have no idea to what this refers - ? No other labeling is on the 22-1326C. After ensuring discharging one of the 22-1148s (have not pulled the one on the circuit breaker yet) reads 2.10 micro Farads and the 22-1326C 1.90 micro Farads on my son's Fluke 87V digital multimeter, both tested cold/at room temp.

Is shortening of the coil high tension wire by two inches and installation of a suppressor #63-1273 on the coil end, also as described in the Radio's owner's manual, effective and necessary?

According to a search on our website Old Henry much earlier indicated a recommended modern equivalent of the 22-1148 is the NAPA RC-1. I have yet to find a reference for the modern equivalent for the 22-1326C - any help here is appreciated. Obviously would prefer NOS with the script if functionality is there and shelf life is not a consideration - none found on ebay this Tuesday morning.

Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-15-16 @ 5:31 AM

TomO    -- 03-15-2016 @ 7:59 AM
  Most of those noise suppressor condensers are 2 micro-farads and your read in the proper range.

NOS condensers are very old and are usually the tinfoil and paper type. These ten to break down with age and under heat and cause problems.

If you are having static caused by the generator or ignition on your radio, make sure that the radio and the antenna lead-in shield are grounded. Another item to check is the radio itself, the condensers inside the radio should be replaced to increase signal strength and amplification.

Tom

fenbach    -- 03-20-2016 @ 6:01 PM
  steve,
in a recent discussion about coils I mentioned that I was putting a transistor between the points and the coil. and coincidentally, the same TomO who replied to you asked me why would I bother. too much free time on my hands I told him. but I discovered that there is a good reason. almost no radio static. most of which evidently was coming from the points. the coil condenser eliminates some of the arcing at the points. the transistor eliminates it entirely. I don't have any noise suppression capacitors at all but do use resistor plugs and [now] have very little static.
tom's right about making sure everything is well grounded.
good luck, and keep us posted.
bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9481