Topic: 35 pickup tail light bracket

jerry.grayson    -- 03-16-2010 @ 7:18 AM
  What color was the tail light bracket from the factory. I need the information for the 35-36 pickup book.

nelsb01    -- 03-16-2010 @ 9:32 PM
  Well, there were riveted to the box. The box was painted. Logic would say, whatever color the box was.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-17-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  Yes, I agree, but most Ford parts like this were dipped in black paint(fender braces, mirror arms,etc) and the tail light bracket could have been riveted on after the box was painted. I just cannot find any proof one way or the another. Thanks for your thoughts.

nelsb01    -- 03-17-2010 @ 1:20 PM
  OK---very very very original 1/2 ton truck........

Stroker    -- 03-17-2010 @ 1:47 PM
  Jerry:

As an old aircraft mechanic, I can't imagine bucking solid rivets after the truck bed was painted.
To set a cold rivet, one must upset the shank with repeated blows from a rivet gun, or a hydraulic
clamp. Either one of these processes would take any applied finish off of the rivet, and most likely distress the paint immediately around the rivet as the rivet "sets". I'll vote for
the whole assembly being spray painted (or dipped), including any riveted-on brackets.

Dan

jerry.grayson    -- 03-17-2010 @ 2:26 PM
  nelsb01
Nice truck!! Is the paint original? I have never seen a tag bracket painted body color. If you would e-mail me, I would like to see more of your truck. gray1934@bellsouth.net

tudorbilll    -- 03-17-2010 @ 4:43 PM
  nelsb01----dOES IT HAVE a front bumper and no rear? Give us a pic of the front "not so close"

nelsb01    -- 03-17-2010 @ 5:39 PM
  the picture was part of the set that I sent to Lawson. He has over 100 photos of this vehicle.

nelsb01    -- 03-17-2010 @ 5:41 PM
  tudorbill:
Here is your front picture. Yes, front bumper, no rear.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-17-2010 @ 7:15 PM
  tudorbill
35 pickups did not have a rear bumper not even as an extra.

trjford8    -- 03-17-2010 @ 7:41 PM
  I've never seen a license bracket or a tailamp painted body color. In reviewing Lorin Sorensen's book,The Commercial Fords there are some rear shots of pickups . All have the black license plate bracket and black or stainless tailamp. I am somewhat suspicious of a license bracket and tailamp being painted body color on a pickup.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-18-2010 @ 6:48 AM
  Stoker
I can see where you comming from and can appreciate your aircraft experience, but auto assembly is a completely different situation. I have worked in a Ford assembly plant and can tell you that rivets were not "bucked". They were pressed with one operation with hydraulic presses and the rivets were raven finish, which is a chemical coating like fender bolts. Yes, they will rust after a while, but Ford was building pickups to sell not show.
You may be 100% correct about the bracket being body color, but I would like to have proof by archive information or original paint on a vehicle or some other method.
We can debate the merits of black or body color, but for including the facts in a published EFV8 book we have to be correct.

Bruce Woods    -- 03-24-2010 @ 3:35 PM
  My tail light bracket is black on my 35 pickup. As a Dearborn winner in the late 70's I think this should be correct. Bruce

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=948