Topic: Cylinder Oil Soda Soap Grease - ?

len47merc    -- 03-11-2016 @ 6:54 AM
  Know this has been asked before and I should have recorded the responses, and as well have searched without finding the answer so will have to ask a couple of questions again:

1) What is recommended now for lubricating the universal joint on '42-'48s? The Shop Manual states Cylinder Oil Soda Soap Grease which quite frankly is lost on me what it is and what the modern-day equivalent may be.

2) How full do you guys recommend pumping the zerk fitting for the u-joint? Until whatever grease you recommend shows itself somewhere and if so where? Or just a few pumps and you're good? Or until it becomes 'stiff'? Or... - ?

Thanks in advance -

Steve

kubes40    -- 03-11-2016 @ 1:14 PM
  Steve, I think most guys use John Deere CornHead grease. It has small fibers in it that prevent the grease from being pushed away as typical bearing grease will do quickly.
When I restore a car, I pack the cavity full. If your car is assembled, I would suggest pumping "a lot" in there.
I really can see no harmful results from perhaps "too much".

len47merc    -- 03-11-2016 @ 3:14 PM
  Thanks Mike. I'll pick some up and follow your advice.

Steve

Grant    -- 03-13-2016 @ 7:27 AM
  Hi Steve,

John Deere dealers sell corn head grease as product number AN102562. Should be about $3.00 for a tube.

They say it's "thixotropic for better lubricating at high temperature and high speed".

Works great in our '36's steering box. Wear latex gloves ....... it's got a Skin Irritant warning.

Looks like the green stuff from Bartholomew & The Oobleck.

len47merc    -- 03-13-2016 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks Grant. Is this the only location (u-joint) where you all use this product or are there other locations you've found it to be effective for as well?

Steve

Grant    -- 03-14-2016 @ 10:25 AM
  The only place I've ever used corn head grease is in a steering box.

alanwoodieman    -- 03-14-2016 @ 7:29 PM
  I have for years been using a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of synthetic gear lube 85w90 and synthetic grease, let the grease run out of the tube, mix in a clean coffee can with the lube oil until the consistency of Frenches mustard-put it in the tube and pump into zerk fitting on u-joint housing--use full tube--I use an air powered gun. take the rest and put into a squeeze bottle and put into steering box--you will notice the diffence and heat will not break it down--fill the steering box full, move it back and forth to work it into the box

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9474