Topic: Does anyone know this guy?

jretter    -- 03-10-2016 @ 2:35 PM
  Has anyone had an occasion to purchase parts from a gentleman named Graham Vermillion in Virginia? If so, is he reputable?

trjford8    -- 03-10-2016 @ 4:41 PM
  Did he answer your want ad? If so did he send photos? Did he give you a phone#? Somehow that name is familiar. The scam artists troll this site for the want ads. Ask for a phone#, photos of the parts, etc. If no photos or a phone # and he asks for MoneyGram or to send funds via Western Union, it's a scam. I can tell you this, he is not a V-8 Club member as he's not listed in the roster.

jretter    -- 03-10-2016 @ 8:44 PM
  Thanks. This is an interesting one. Yes, he answered a Parts Wanted ad for bumper irons. He seems to know what I am looking for and even sent a picture of the correct parts, as well as his phone number, when I asked for them. I had asked him to call me, but instead he asked me to call him. I tried but got a message machine. The thing that made me really suspicious is that he asked me to use Moneygram and send the money to his wife. This message was eerily similar to one I got from another guy named, "Brian Santos", who others say is a scammer. Also, if he is not a member, he is not supposed to be able to get my email, which he did. I think I will call the Club headquarters in the morning to see if he is a member but not listed in the roster. Then I will next tell him he needs to send the parts C.O.D., which UPS will do for $12.50. I'll even cover the extra cost. Here's betting he goes silent, like Brian Santos did when I questioned him. I'll let you know what happens. I appreciate your help. Jerry.

trjford8    -- 03-11-2016 @ 7:11 AM
  He doesn't want to call you as you probably have caller ID and he doesn't want the number traced. Check the photos as they may have been copied from a Drake catalog. I advertised for bumper irons awhile back and the scammer sent me photos directly from a Drake catalog. I was looking for standard 40 irons and got photos of the stainless deluxe irons from the catalog. As I recall it was Brian Santos and he wanted a Money Gram.
This guy may have got your e-mail address from the ad. The scammers can get on this site without being a club member.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-11-16 @ 7:13 AM

jretter    -- 03-11-2016 @ 10:04 PM
  Yeah, "Brian Santos" is a frequent visitor, I believe. I steer clear of him. The photo this "Vermillion" guy sent looks pretty darn good. Clearly not from someone's catalog, plus it showed me he knows what 34 bumper irons look like. It's the only part of this exchange with him that looks legit. If I hear back from him, which I do not expect, I will ask him to take the photo again with the front page of a current local paper sitting in the middle, or something similar. Attached is the photo he sent me.

trjford8    -- 03-13-2016 @ 8:56 AM
  These guys also steal photos off of e-Bay or Craigslist. To me the MoneyGram is the tip off and having the money sent to another party(his alleged wife). If it were me I'd steer clear of this guy.

jretter    -- 03-18-2016 @ 10:44 PM
  The line went dead when I told him I would make arrangements to come pick the parts up in rural Virginia (which I can). I wonder if "Graham Vermillion" and "Brian Santos" are the same person. "Graham" has a very heavy accent, probably middle east, that I would not associate with that name.

trjford8    -- 03-19-2016 @ 8:19 AM
  Most of these 'scammers" are Nigerian. Probably the same guy using two different names. They are getting a little more "crafty" in their scams. He'll be back around with a new name.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9473