Topic: Distributor Maintenance f/up

len47merc    -- 03-09-2016 @ 9:01 AM
  Personal testimony here - Had the utmost pleasure and honor yesterday of spending 5 hours with Mr. John Shelor as he went through my distributor for full maintenance, rebuild, set-up and coil evaluation as well as very generous personal education. After observing and engaging hands-on with Mr. Shelor and his Allen machine the not-so-intuitive idiosyncrasies of optimizing these distributors became very apparent. A couple of items I would not have known or found on my own:

1) Plunger spring had been stretched out well beyond spec by a prior owner or prior owner's mechanic, making the pressure on the leather pad way too strong which basically eliminated all centrifugal timing advance

2) Front bushing was worn beyond spec and needed replacing

Having these distributors set-up by a professional such as Mr. Shelor is, as TomO said earlier, really the only way to do this. Count me in now as true believer versus my prior 'feeler gauge' mentality.

Amazing the 'rocket ship' I have now that it is realizing 22-23 degrees of timing advance at rpm. Seems like the motor now has no top end limitations and wants to simply keep on winding up. Not going to test the limit though - still shifting at 15 & 25 mph anyway but expect fuel mileage to see a quite favorable impact. Performance is unreal the improvement over what I thought could not get any better.

For what its worth - IMHO if you all are not already using someone with the experience and equipment to properly evaluate the condition of your distributor and set it up properly you should find someone you know you can trust and give them a go.

Steve

joe b    -- 03-09-2016 @ 10:32 AM
  Steve Thanks for the info. Very good to know. Finding a good shop and mechanic for things such as these is getting hard.
Luckily I have a guy in my area I trust. He said a few of the things your guy said. Most important he too found my spring to be stretched. Looks like this is a thing to mentally file away.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9469