Topic: Distributor/Points Maintenance Schedule & Process

len47merc    -- 02-28-2016 @ 6:25 AM
  A few questions about breaker points and general distributor routine maintenance ('46-early '47 59AB focus fyi but responses need not necessarily be limited to those years):

1) The Shop Manual shows 5,000 miles for routine distributor/points maintenance - how many miles in practice should be typically expected out of a set of our dual points before they need re-dressing and/or full replacement? Do you recommend pressing on beyond the 5,000 mile recommendation to the limit of the points showing themselves to be needing dressing (miss under load, etc.)? Or would you be lucky to reach 5,000 miles without the points showing themselves to be in need of dressing/replacement?

2) What process do you recommend when dressing points and can it be effectively done without resetting dwell each time? Or do you recommend completely changing them every 5,000 miles/when they begin to show the need?

3) How can the distributor cap be easily dressed while on the car or does it have to be removed? Had to remove the spark plug wire looms and wires when replacing the cap originally - hate to have to go through that every time the cap needs dressing but perhaps that is the process - ?

4) How does the vacuum advance brake show itself to be in need of adjustment from wear and what process do you follow to re-set it?

5) What other distributor maintenance recommendations might you have when pulling it for points or other maintenance?

6) Which supplier offers the best Quality points for our flatheads and do they last significantly enough longer than others to warrant the (potential) increased expense?

Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-28-16 @ 6:29 AM

TomO    -- 02-28-2016 @ 7:59 AM
  I do not recommend dressing the points or the distributor cap.

5,000 miles is a good benchmark to replace the points.

I cannot recommend any supplier of points. I still have a few sets of Ford point sets for my personal use and have not used any of the aftermarket sets available.

Tom

len47merc    -- 02-28-2016 @ 8:09 AM
  Thanks Tom - do you set your new points with feeler gauges or purchase the service from someone with a Sun machine/equivalent? Any thoughts on the vacuum advance brake appreciated as well.

Steve

ken ct.    -- 02-28-2016 @ 9:03 AM
  Steve,as per phone conversation this morn I have over 400 leather pads for the vacume brake I can send a few if you need. glue in with yellow 3 M cement works great for me.I inishily had 500 made for me and still have many left. ken ct.

TomO    -- 02-29-2016 @ 6:31 AM
  I have a friend that has a Sun distributor test on it and use it to time my distributor. That is the best way. The machine spins the distributor and allows the operator to check for point bounce and correct mechanical advance. It also allows the vacuum brake to be set to specifications.

There are a few different fixtures to set the points and they work well with good points, but do not tell you if there is something wrong with the points or the distributor.

The ruler method also works with the 42-48 distributor, but again doesn't tell you if there is something wrong with the distributor.

I replace the leather on the vacuum brake when I replace the points.

Tom

len47merc    -- 02-29-2016 @ 7:50 AM
  Thanks Tom.

Steve

len47merc    -- 02-29-2016 @ 9:59 AM
  Tom - I do not see in the Shop Manual what the vacuum brake specifications are. Can you or anyone advise in this regard as well as the process for optimizing the setting to spec?

EDIT - Correction in only that the 'loosen until the engine pings, then tighten slightly until the ping is gone' method is described. Perhaps this is the specification you were referring to, but I sensed from your last reply some more objective spec when using the equipment to set-up the distributor might exist.

EDIT 2 - It is noted on Second Chance Garage that the full centrifugal advance should be set at 12 degrees at 1,725 rpm. Perhaps this is what you are referring to Tom?
Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-29-16 @ 1:35 PM

len47merc    -- 03-01-2016 @ 6:37 AM
  Tom - got the answer to the vacuum brake specification question as well as overall dwell percentage and distributor set-up processes using Sun or Ford Heyer equipment.

Also, I have a veteran local club colleague who, much to my surprise last evening, made me aware he owns a fully functional Sun machine complete with all documentation and adapters. He has generously agreed to sell it to me for a very reasonable price and train me on its use, so moving forward I will be able to address my distributor set-ups here in the home garage. Very fortunate.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-1-16 @ 6:40 AM

ken ct.    -- 03-01-2016 @ 10:53 PM
  LOL we used vasoline to lube many things back then , speedo cables , point cams etc,etc. ken ct.Worked back then. Yea I'm ole-school. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9431