Topic: Oil pressure switch location?

rsh1950    -- 02-23-2016 @ 9:35 PM
  1950 Ford started today first time since 1993. The motor sounds good and I am getting oil up in the oil filter, however my dash shows no pressure. I am thinking the switch is faulty but I need some directions on where to look for the switch. If anyone has a pic that would be great.

thanks
rsh1950

ford38v8    -- 02-23-2016 @ 10:11 PM
  Driver side, use a flashlight, look down, rear of engine up close to the firewall. The line from the oil filter will lead you to it. single wire coming off the top of a helmet shaped sender. It is scr*w*d in to one hole, the filter line scr*w*d into the other. I've forgotten the size, maybe 1/2", you'll need to heat and bend an open end wrench into a U shape to get the sender off. Before you do that, check the connection, as the wire may simply be loose. You can also read pressure at the supply side of the filter with a mechanical gauge.

Alan

rsh1950    -- 02-24-2016 @ 5:55 AM
  Thanks Alan for you quick reply. I will follow your suggestion.

rsh1950

flathead4rd    -- 02-24-2016 @ 8:04 AM
  If you have to remove the sending unit you can get at it with a crow foot wrench. I think it's a 9/16".

len47merc    -- 02-24-2016 @ 5:00 PM
  Suggest someone with the knowledge advise rsh1950 of the process for testing the gauge before he enjoys the pleasure of working on removing/replacing the sending unit. If I had it in my memory banks I'd advise but unfortunately I cannot remember and need one of our sage veterans to weigh in here with the accurate info.

EDIT - btw, changed my first flathead sending unit with a stub/short open-ended wrench, laying on a fender and grunting for life, and dozens of 16 degrees or so turns. Changed the second with a crow-foot wrench as flathead4rd suggested and life was much better.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-24-16 @ 5:07 PM

ford38v8    -- 02-24-2016 @ 11:21 PM
  Steve, Excellent advice. Now I'm embarrassed that I didn't advise the same. Good on ya!

Alan

rsh1950    -- 02-26-2016 @ 5:02 PM
  PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I did as instructed and followed the oil line from the filter ( near the firewall ) back to the motor and there it was. This little dome/helmet shaped sensor. The wire was broked off. So first I tested the wire with the key on to make sure it was hot and it was. I connected the wire (little hard to get to) and started the engine. The gauge shows 40 lbs.
Thanks for all the input and I hope my next project is this easy.

rsh1950

ford38v8    -- 02-26-2016 @ 7:33 PM
  Glad to hear it! I gotta say though, most problems will get your hands dirty and your breath smelling like beer!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9416