Topic: Tires - Bias ply vs radial ply

TNation    -- 02-22-2016 @ 12:51 PM
  I'm going to put new tires on my '36 and am considering radial ply tires instead of bias ply. I would like to hear any opinions on the subject.

Kens 36    -- 02-22-2016 @ 1:12 PM
  I've been using Coker Classic 600-16 radials on my '36 Roadster for several years and like them much better than the bias ply tires they replaced. I find the steering and handling to be much improved.

These radials have a taller profile than many radials and look better than others that are lower and "fatter". However, they will not fit into the spare tire carrier.

42guy    -- 02-22-2016 @ 3:42 PM
  I have used Diamondback radials for over 10 years and they make the ride and handling great

1934 Ford    -- 02-22-2016 @ 4:38 PM
  Rule of thumb: Radials ride better, Bias ply last longer
but the bias ply are correct if that matters to you.
Both are unrealistically expensive in white walls.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 02-22-2016 @ 4:42 PM
  The previous comments explained the benefits of radial tires. Radial tires have a shorter safe life (about 7 years) than bias ply tires (about 10 years). Radial tires cost more than bias ply tires. It is your car and money, so you have to make the choice. Whichever choice you make, I am sure that you will enjoy driving your car.

Tom

TNation    -- 02-22-2016 @ 5:19 PM
  Thanks to all for the information. My '36 tudor wanders a lot when there are seams in the road and the tires are really, really old. I think I will go with the radials. Thanks again for responding.

oldasi    -- 02-23-2016 @ 4:03 AM
  When I first started driving my '46 it had Bias ties and if the hwy was rutted with worn paths from heavy traffic it would almost change lanes, put on a used set of Radials on Merc rims (rims weren't different, just fit) and drove/rode perfectly, will never use Bias again

TomO    -- 02-23-2016 @ 6:57 AM
  You say that your car wanders a lot, so I would recommend that you check the front end for worn parts and make any repairs before you buy new tires.

If you buy radials have the toe-in set for radials.

Tom

murphy 1941    -- 02-29-2016 @ 8:44 PM
  Tom,may I ask why the toe in changes when changing from bis? And what would be the degree change? Because I am thinking of getting rid of my bis tires. Thank you, john (1941) super deluxe

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

oldasi    -- 03-01-2016 @ 3:45 AM
  TomO
Once I put the radials on all wondering stopped, the hwy that it really wondered on was reported at one time being the busiest hwy for trucks in all of Canada

len47merc    -- 03-01-2016 @ 5:17 AM
  Bias plys initially wandered quite a bit for me on grooved pavement (for rain run-off, particularly concrete) in particular; however, after bringing the front-end and overall suspension back to as-new condition (per TomO's comments) I found this was much improved and wandering was little more than my modern cars on radials on the same piece of highway. Yes, modern radials will ride, handle and corner better/somewhat like modern cars, and likely last much longer depending on your selection. Really in the end comes down to personal preference for aesthetics and what you expect to feel and sense out of your 60+ year old treasure. I drive mine at the speeds and with the cornering it was originally designed and built for and find the bias plys a hoot. Again personal preference - I prefer the look too, as radials, including though to a lesser extent the radial bias ply imitations, give our cars a bit more of a hot rod/modified versus classic/original look.

Steve

TomO    -- 03-01-2016 @ 8:16 AM
  The radial tire has more tire on the road than a bias ply tire and you will have more scrubbing action. I like to set bias ply tires toe-in to 1/16" and radials at 0" to 1/32" toe in.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9409