Topic: Revisiting the Horn Button

carpguy    -- 03-15-2010 @ 12:05 PM
  Afternoon All,
I've gotten the steering out and on the table. I have removed the rod. I have gotten the clips bent straight with out breaking one. Now does the horn button come out with the rod from the top? My horn/rod have two pieces, the outer ring that fits in the steering wheel and then the horn button itself that fits in that. To me it looks like it comes out with the rod and you push it through the outer ring. I hope this makes since.
Thank You
Gary
Moscow, Id.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-15-2010 @ 1:49 PM
  As far as I remember, take the chrome ring off, you should see a spring and a horn contact,with bakelite insulater, this should pull up with the wire,that is unattached from the bottom of the tube,on the other end,
see if that makes any sense,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-15-2010 @ 1:57 PM
  hi GARY
you would then attach the new wire and end and insulater from the bottom and feed it to the top,pull it pretty tight, then solder the top contact and insulater, and reassemble.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

40 Coupe    -- 03-15-2010 @ 2:09 PM
  the metal rod is attached to the outter bakelite light switch metal hub and are not to be disassembled. once the chrome ring is off note how the V8 on the horn button and the tabs on the light switch are orientated so it can be put back exactly as removed. on the bottom of the rod unsolder the electrical contact and remove it with the insulator, take the new wire you want inside the rod and solder it to the old wire that was just unsoldered. Now pull the old wire out from the top of the rod and you will pull the new wire in from the bottom, at the same time. attach the new pieces at the top and then pull the new wire out the bottom until all the pieces at the top are tightly inserted. at the bottom insert the new insulator and strip the new wire so it can be resoldered to the new bottom contact, once the bottom is resoldered then finally trim any extra wire from the bottom, your done rebuilding. clean the bakelite with cleaner wax and reassemble as removed and your done with the rod.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-16-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  Gary
if you use a brass brake shoe rivit, drill a hole in it and pull the wire down though it,resolder the end leaving a little bit on it ,,so it make GOOD Contact
like 40 COUPE said,is did a good job of explaining it,
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN
also make sure the rivit is not bigger than the horn rod shaft, you might have to trim it down with a file,but should be pretty close.
its been a while since I had one apart,

carpguy    -- 03-16-2010 @ 10:23 AM
  Morning,
Well after rereading the answer to my posting about 5 times I got it in my head what had to happen. First thing this morning I got every thing taken apart with out any harm, thank god and now I have to just clean up everything and reinstall. Thank you for all the help Ragtop and 40 coupe
Gary
Moscow, Id.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=939