Topic: '36 Ford Stop light switch

rogbell    -- 01-25-2016 @ 3:59 PM
  Since my stop light was not working, see my previous two posts, 'Wiring problem' and ''36 Ford light switch', I decided to check if the piston in the switch would move when the brake pedal was depressed. I had my wife step on the brake pedal while I was under the car, but nothing happened, the piston did not move. I'm not sure how it works on this car but normally the pedal lever mechanism would contact the piston and push it in to close the circuit. I then attached a jumper wire between the 2 terminals on the switch but still no stop light. Could this be a part of the problem with the issues discussed in my first post, wiring problem? I've had a number of suggestions from club members at this point but nothing has yet worked.

ken ct.    -- 01-25-2016 @ 5:35 PM
  They can be opened up and repaired. I did it on mine yrs ago. ken ct.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 1-25-16 @ 5:35 PM

rogbell    -- 01-25-2016 @ 6:56 PM
  It's a new switch so it probably doesn't need to be rebuilt. I was just trying to find out if the switch piston is pushed by the brake pedal mechanism when the brake pedal is depressed.
Still need to find out more about the wiring issues.

rogbell    -- 01-27-2016 @ 2:37 PM
  Would still like to know how and where the stop light switch is in contact with the brake pedal mechanism Should it touch so that when the pedal is depressed the rod sticking out of the switch is pushed in?

pinnsky    -- 01-27-2016 @ 4:43 PM
  If I remember correctly, the switch is pushed in when the pedal is at rest. Then when the pedal is pushed the rod moves and the circuit is then on. I had the opposite problem because the switch was in the wrong orientation and the brake light was on constantly. Bent the mounting bracket slightly and solved the issue.
Hope this helps.

rogbell    -- 01-27-2016 @ 7:07 PM
  Thanks for all the responses. What is the proper orientation of the switch? In what direction should the long portion of the rod point?

MGG    -- 01-27-2016 @ 7:59 PM
  On my 1934 when the rod is pulled out, the switch is open and there is no electrical circuit to the brake light. When I push the brake pedal in, the linkage allows the spring in the switch to retract the rod, closing the electrical circuit which turns on the brake light. I don't know for sure, but the 36 probably works the same way.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9326