Topic: 1934 Ford door alignment

jrgreer@iland.net    -- 01-19-2016 @ 10:28 AM
  I've finally decided to spend some money on my 34 tudor. It's in a body shop now and they want to grind down the passenger door to fit the frame. Don't worry, I stopped them.
Looking on the internet I found an old forum from Jan 2014, talking about door alignment for doors on a fordor and it supported my theory. I know full well the misalignment came from a door that flew open, and they didn't get the alignment back like it should have been. It looks to me like it is twisted down and forward at the top. The door is almost touching the frame at the windshield. I think the hinges need to be reshaped, or reshimmed. Anybody have suggestions?

roadster36    -- 01-19-2016 @ 10:35 AM
  I don't mean to sound like a wise a** but my suggestion is to find a competent body shop. The door needs to fit the hole it came out of. Grinding on the body isn't a proper fix. The situation you describe is pretty common. Often it happens from hinge pins that were rusted solid as well. You are correct that the hinges need to be reformed back to their original contours, but the door jamb and pillar might be stretched as well. Without being there in person I cannot provide direction other than to say get someone who is familiar with that type of repair. If a novice tries it and does the wrong thing it will only compound the problem.

1934 Ford    -- 01-19-2016 @ 3:48 PM

YIKES !! Listen to Roadster 36 and find a better body shop. That's a common mistake by the amateur body men who have ruined many restorations.
I bent my Tudor hinges on the 1998 Glidden Tour. when the door came open at 50 MPH. Grinding down the door skin was NOT an option!!

1934 Ford's since 1972

jrgreer@iland.net    -- 01-25-2016 @ 1:31 PM
  Thanks to both of you. this is exactly what I thought.
J. R. Greer

J. R. Greer

Drbrown    -- 01-25-2016 @ 7:16 PM
  As they say, "I would walk, no run away" from that body shop. I wouldn't let them in my tool box or my kitchen. There is a specific section in my Ford Service Manual, which I have previously quoted, that describes how to correct poor-fitting doors by using bending technics. In the day, Ford made a tool for doing this.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-25-16 @ 7:17 PM

jrgreer@iland.net    -- 01-26-2016 @ 8:33 PM
  All I can find is an old book of service bulletins--nothing on doors, though. Is that something I could get from you?

J. R. Greer

jrgreer@iland.net    -- 01-27-2016 @ 6:45 AM
  Never mind, Dr. Brown. I ordered a restoration manual on line.

J. R. Greer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9314