Topic: 41 ford

pbc64    -- 03-13-2010 @ 1:41 PM
  h*llo can anyone give me some advice i have my dash out of my 41 ford i want to restore my steering column i loosend the clamp at the steering box and tried to pull the column out nothing is the column sleeved will it come uot with wheel off ? and what is the trick to pulling the wheel? thank you paul

EdB    -- 03-13-2010 @ 4:47 PM
  do you have the paint codes? would like to know them also as well as column removal procedure..
Thanks

trjford8    -- 03-13-2010 @ 5:00 PM
  You will need to pull the steering wheel.

42wagon    -- 03-13-2010 @ 5:05 PM
  If you don't have it you should get a copy of the 41-48 Ford book available from the Early Ford V8 Club on the home page of the site.

This book indicates that your steering column was painted Rose Beige and gives the formula for Rose Beige paint.

The steering wheel should be the same as the 42-48s. If so there are holes in the hub to screw in bolts for a wheel puller.

Not sure how the column comes a part. However you may be better off repainting the column in the car.
Ted

pbc64    -- 03-13-2010 @ 5:24 PM
  thank you for the replies my wheel is pressed on and keyed the steering shaft does have the hole in center but did not notice any holes in the hub but you just gave me an idea i relize the wheel is fragile and i will be carefull thanks paul

supereal    -- 03-14-2010 @ 9:40 AM
  You need a suitable steering wheel puller to get it off. The wheels are often stuck on the shaft, but do come off. If your wheel doesn't have a pair of threaded holes on either side of the hub, you will need the kind of puller with "legs" that reach under the hub. Be careful as you tighten the puller, as it is possible to damage the threads of the nut that holds the wheel on the shaft. Once under tension, a few taps from below with a rubber hammer will often help. Steering wheels are made of hard rubber over a steel core, so don't overdo the tapping, or you will cause cracks in the wheel.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-14-2010 @ 11:57 AM
  You will have to remove the steering wheel, the ignition switch drop down from the dash, the collar at the box and unless you have a convertible loosen the bolts on the box. You may have to remove all the bolts on the box. You may have to remove the toe board to give swing room for the column.You also may need to remove the shift linkage at the transmission. Nothing is easy is it?

pbc64    -- 03-14-2010 @ 12:22 PM
  thank you for everyones replys when i do get this wheel off and i pull the column will the steering shaft stay in place when i loosened the clamp at the box i noticed a lot of movement in the column when i pull the column will the shaft still be in place ? thanks paul

trjford8    -- 03-14-2010 @ 7:15 PM
  Paul, the steering shaft will stay in place. the play in the shaft is from a worn bushing at the top of the column. Once you have the column out you can remove the bushing. Save your money and do not replace the bushing. You can replace it with a bearing kit. These kits are sold on e-Bay or you can buy them from many V-8 parts suppliers. The bearing kit makes a noticeable difference in ease of steering.

pbc64    -- 03-14-2010 @ 7:20 PM
  thank you paul

supereal    -- 03-15-2010 @ 7:59 AM
  If you are just planning to refinish the steering column, it can be done in place, eliminating lots of work. Careful prep and masking will be required. We have done this many times. Replacing the bushing under the wheel while it is off is a good idea, as the original rubber type is usually in bad shape. It is also a good time to replace the horn wire, as it has been twisted many, many times. Use a piece of mono-filament fish line, and tie it to the wire at the bottom so it can be pulled into the column as you withdraw the wire. Then, tie on the new one, and pull it into place.

TomO    -- 03-15-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  To remove the column
1) Remove the shift linkage to the transmission
2) Remove the steering wheel (use a steering wheel puller with two bolts, being careful to protect the threads on the end of the shaft)
3) Remove the bolts holding the locking mechanism to the dash.
4) Loosen the clamp at the steering box.
5) Carefully pull up on the column and remove it from the shaft.

Tom

pbc64    -- 03-16-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  h*llo everyone want to thank for everyones advice just got the column out i had to drill and tap two 5/16 holes in the hub and pulled the wheel got the column out the bushings were not my concern but i will need to replace them when i mentioned the play in the column i was trying two understand how this came apart why i did not refinish this in place was that i just put in a windshield and i wanted to beadblast the column and i just figured pulling it out would be easy thank you everone paul

42ford    -- 03-16-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  First thing is, NOTHING is easy on an early Ford

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=929